On Apr 12, 2008, at 7:10 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

Tom Lazar wrote:
On 2008-04-12 22:42:22 +0200, Martin Aspeli

Reinout van Rees wrote:
Hi all,

One thing that's not clear to me: how to keep certain pages out of
deliverance's hands? The zmi pages (/manage, /manage_main, etc.) are the
ones I'm most interested in at the moment.

If I tickle my brain I come up with some irc messages and some emails, but I'm missing the bigger picture, especially after the latest changes.

Can someone give me a quick pointer?
I use a paste composite app where / is a pipeline with deliverance in it and /admin is a pipeline with plain repoze. It's not perfect for all use
cases, but pretty easy to set up.

I'd like the repoze app to be on /, but have some declarative
configuration to say e.g.

deliverance.ignore = /manage/.*
deliverance.ignore = /foo.*

i.e. a regular expression based thing where deliverance would be told to
ignore certain incoming url patterns.

that sounds like something i'd like to have in the webserver config,
i.e. apache or nginx where i would set some sort of headers (just like
in the vhm example)

i'm new to this, but my gut feeling would be to keep all this sort of
fancy, regex-based rewriting stuff in one place (i.e. the webserver
config) and to use 'straightforward' tests for defined flags or headers
within the wsgi pipeline.

I think the only sane way to do this is to let the application (Plone, or Zope) choose the theme on the way out rather than allowing anything to choose the theme on the way in, as the regexes will get absolutely crazy if you need to do the choosing this way. IOW, there would be no theme specified in middleware or in the webserver config, but Zope would return a header for each response that
should be themed a certain way.

I don't think it has to be binary. I can think of plenty of cases where, as you've described, putting that decision in the hands of the application would be great. I can also think of many cases (from personal usage) where there is (or could be) plenty enough information in the response to let the themer make a decision.

I like the latter, as don't want to rely on convincing all interesting WSGI apps to embrace Deliverance theme support. The task that we're signed up for from the Plone summit, though, does as you've said -- change Plone to embrace the idea of choosing multiple (or no) "sitethemes".

Note that I don't think what's being asked for is to "choose the theme on the way in". I think it is to choose the theme on the way out, based on information available in the environment, including the HTML.