I try to build the Sphinx documentation for repoze.workflow. I installed all required packages (Sphinx, repoze.sphinx.autoindex 0.1.2) in my global site-packages directory but when I do 'make html' I only get an exception:
building [html]: targets for 3 source files that are out of date
updating environment: 3 added, 0 changed, 0 removed
reading... api Exception occurred:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/docutils/statemachine.py", line 434,
in match
    return pattern.match(self.line)
TypeError: expected string or buffer

The whole doc build process works if I don't install the repoze.sphinx.autoindex in my global python directory. Then it will be downloaded from pypi automatically.

Unfortunately this is not an option for me because I want to build RPM packages and the build machine must not connect to the internet and download potentially dangerous packages.

I suspect the problem is that there exists a repoze package in site-packages (because of repoze.sphinx.autoindex) and some mechanism is used that does not work with namespace packages.

How can I solve this?