FTR, building on Hanno's work, I've created an index that allows for the
installation of the Zope2 trunk suitable for use with easy_install (requiring no
buildout).  To do so, I created eggs from the externals used within the buildout
directory, and put them in the index.  Here's the set of commands that installs
Zope2 (snapshot of 2.12 / trunk):

$ virtualenv --no-site-packages zope2
$ cd zope2
$ bin/easy_install -i http://dist.repoze.org/zope2/dev/simple repoze.zope2