I tried a separate compile step yesterday, but chameleon uses marshal for
recreating the code objects from the .cache files. It also uses compiler and
ast to generate the compiled templates that are stored in a registry once
the app is running. Compiler is OK until it tries to use parser, which is
not included because it can generate code objects. In fact, like Chris says,
any attempt to produce code objects by other means (like new.code()) will
fail with a restricted error.

If Malthe or anyone else has a good idea about how to do this and will give
me some pointers, I'm willing to use my limited abilities to make this work.
Otherwise, I might try to bring in old zpt.

Carlos de la Guardia