On 5/4/09 9:24 PM, Tim Hoffman wrote:
> HI Chris
>
> Sounds like a plan
>
> I will start a repoze.bfg.gae
>
> My bindings for pagetemplate are pretty much the same, but I have a
> higher level
> wrapper that is doing some extra stuff for macros etc....

OK.

> So I may leave that zpt wrapper repoze.bfg.gae as I plan to do some
> template caching that is suitable for gae etc.... along with gae
> specific instructions for using pagetemplates

Could we put a more general caching thing into repoze.bfg.zopepagetemplate
itself?  Plus the higher-level macros thing?  If we did that, would we actually
need a repoze.bfg.gae?  Ideally any package named "repoze.bfg.gae" would not
depend on any particular templating system (as BFG works fine out of the box on
GAE with, say, Jinja2 right now via repoze.bfg.jijna2).  I'd epxect a package
named "repoze.bfg.gae" to just provide facilities helpful for using BFG on GAE,
indepdendent of templating language.  OTOH, if the package was named
repoze.bfg.gae_zpt, I'd expect it to have ZPT bindings of course.

> One thing to note for people planing to use zope.pagetemplates in gae
> is that it does
> have a dependancy on i18nmessageid which has some 'c' code , you need
> to remove the
> _zope_i18nmessageid_message.py as the standard bootstrap code for the c lib
> causes gae to barf as it is using some python capabilities that aren't in gae

I've created a C-free version of zope.i18messageid and I've put it in the BFG
"dev" index at
http://dist.repoze.org/bfg/dev/zope.i18nmessageid-3.5.0dev-optional-c.tar.gz.
If you use that version of zope.i18nmessageid, the C code is just not compiled
and it falls back to the Python implementations.

> I will also include a cut down zope.proxy in repoze.bfg.gae so if
> people wan't to use
> zope.deferredimport (because some other zope3 stuff uses it) than can
> copy it up and use that
> instead.

OK.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to put N packages in the "dev" index at
http://dist.repoze.org/bfg/dev to support ZPT, and change the GAE tutorial in
the BFG docs to show people how to install a "ZPT" version of BFG on GAE.
Currently in that tutorial
(http://svn.repoze.org/repoze.bfg/trunk/docs/tutorials/gae/index.rst), it gives
step-by-step instructions for using BFG+Jinja2.

> Will sign the agreement later today

Thanks!

- C

> See ya
>
> Tim
>

> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Chris McDonough<chr...@plope.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Carlos de la Guardia created zope.pagetemplate bindings for bfg the other
>> day (http://svn.repoze.org/repoze.bfg.zopepagetemplate/trunk/). I might try
>> to change that if it doesn't have what you need to get ZPT support, and
>> then, if necessary, create another package that has the other helper utils
>> you've created.
>>
>> In general, naming something repoze.bfg.gae would make sense if the package
>> really was only related to GAE, but bindings to zope.pagetemplate are useful
>> outside the context of GAE too, so I probably wouldn't put those bindings in
>> a package with "gae" in the name.  Also, since what you're creating is
>> probably a BFG-related package, I'd expect a "repoze.bfg.gae" instead of
>> "repoze.gae" (repoze.bfg is a namespace package, used for packages related
>> to BFG; "repoze" is also a namespace package but contains packages not
>> related to BFG).
>>
>> I can get you access to the repoze SVN repository if you'd like to become a
>> committer:
>>
>> http://repoze.org/contributing.html
>>
>> On 5/4/09 9:00 PM, Tim Hoffman wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am new to the list (and pretty new to repoze) I have put together a
>>> module which includes bindings for zope.pagetemplate with direct
>>> support for metal macros, plus a bunch of helper utils that make
>>> things a bit easier when using google app engine,
>>> I was thinking of calling it repoze.gae.
>>>
>>> A couple of question
>>> 1. does the naming make sense from the repoze communities point of view
>>> 2. should I split the page template handling into a seperate module
>>> from the utilities,