Chris McDonough <> added the comment:

You can currently write your own metadata plugin which could try to get info
from a cookie value first, then the database.  Or better yet, retrieve the data
from cache instead of the database or a cookie.

But in general, yes, the "eagerness" of repoze.who to populate the repoze.who
identity into the environment is a design bug.  We'll try to do something about
it in the next version of repoze.who (v2).  For example, instead of "eagerly"
populating the environment with "repoze.who.identity", we might put a callback
in the environment that must be called to get metadata.  This would help with
requests to static resources and so on.

status: unread -> resolved

Repoze Bugs <>