On 6/25/09 3:38 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> I'm not very familiar with pip, but I don't think that's an issue for
>> Buildout.  Buildout also has the ability to pin the version of all
>> packages, but I don't think that's what Jens and I want in this case.
> yep, the only thing buildout is missing is a command to dump the
> versions.cfg based on what's in the current buildout...
>> We want an authority to provide a regularly updated list of Repoze
>> package versions known to probably work together.  Thankfully, the BFG
>> index is serving that purpose, except that it's not easy to combine that
>> list with the rest of PyPI.  I think the problem would be solved if that
>> index took the form of a versions.cfg (auto-generated would be fine).
> Yep, I wonder if Chris could be tickled to put your auto-generator up
> somewhere on dist.repoze.org?

I think it's a good idea.

It's also an eminently doable-by-someone-else job (wget + the script).  I don't
really use version.cfg files, so I'd be an unlikely candidate to keep it
properly.  I'd forget about its existence and it would just stop working.

OTOH, if someone else wanted to keep an index mirror up and generate a
versions.cfg, and wget-against-the-index wasn't sufficient for some reason, I'd
do the necessary sysadmin stuff to get them rsync access to the files (or
whatever was necessary).