Yes, as I said in my previous reply, the guide here:
 is wrong.
In pylons-app/config/
This is according to the guide and does not work:
# ...
from your_application.lib.auth import add_auth
# ...
def make_app(global_conf, full_stack=True, **app_conf):
   # ...
   # CUSTOM MIDDLEWARE HERE (filtered by error handling middlewares)
   app = add_auth(app)
   # ...

But if the add_auth function  from pylons-app.lib.auth gets imported
just before it is used (and after the global conf was loaded in the
make_app() function, it all works fine.