I actually use xmlrpc a lot and have run into this in the past a few times.
there have been a few incarnations of medusa in the past that has also
exhibited
similiar symptoms, I think it has something to do with how the server and client
decide if there is anything left to transfer over the socket and the client sits
waiting for something never coming and blocking a thread on the server.

Unfortunately when I have encountered this in the past (like now) I am always
buried under the current project workload and just can't spend the time
trying to pin down the specifics.