Yes that got me running, I know have in my website.ini

  [loggers]
  keys=root

  [handlers]
  keys=hand

  [formatters]
  keys=form

  [logger_root]
  level=DEBUG
  handlers=hand

  [handler_hand]
  class=StreamHandler
  level=NOTSET
  formatter=form
  args=(sys.stdout,)
  stream=sys.stdout

  [formatter_form]
  ; format=F1 %(asctime)s %(levelname)s %(message)s
  format=%(message)s
  datefmt=

and I get some logging output in my paster.log

Very good tutorial by the way, this
  http://www.red-dove.com/python_logging.html#config

Maybe it would be good to have this in the bfg docs ?
- I mean: just a basic example to get something running
and a link to this tutorial - no details of how to make
a more complicated configuration - or is it just me,
that didn't know of this "hidden feature" of PasteDeploy ?

Thanks,
  Andreas