Tim Hoffman wrote:
>> You mean Sparx EA? How do you use it?
> Yep, very nice piece of software.

Mmm... I have worked with it quite a bit. It's pretty good for UML. It's
not quite there yet for actual Enterprise Architecture modelling. And it
has some really weird bits, like the way you build custom diagram types.
But yes, it's not bad.

> I have written some code generators
> that take the XMI and then can generate storm classes, gae models and
> zope3 interface definitions for various entities.  We used to it to
> reverse engineer the SQLServer database and then generate storm
> accessor classes for all of the tables.

That's pretty cool. The AGX folks (Jens Klein, Robert Niedereiter (sp?))
would probably love to hear about that.

> The re-used the same uml definitions to also generate interfaces and
> app engine model classes.  Works quite well.
> (I have used argouml a lot too in the past) but I have found
> Enterprise Architect a much richer tool and the xmi files a pretty
> easy to parse with elementtree.

Right. That'd good to hear.

> Basically I have the remote_api hooked up inside a plone tool and with
> adapters that manage the plone -> gae mapping.
> This was all developed before I realized content mirror might be an option.

Some kind of generic tool or framework for Plone -> GAE integration
would be really cool, especially if the GAE side was BFG based. There's
a lot of interest in that area. I would *love* for Plone to be able to
advertise that story as part of its deployment options.

> Having done plone sites for years I getting the scalability always
> meant I had to manage a cluster of some sort with lots of zeo front
> ends etc.
> This site has over 7000 unique visitors a day and the organisation
> that will ultimately own the app doesn't have the resources currently
> to manage that sort of infrastructure.  I had been looking at
> deliverance and varnish etc..... to speed things up but felt that if
> we utilised gae just for presentation on what would still be a
> reasonably dynamic site I wouldn't have to manage the infrastructure
> to the same degree.  Solr is a lot easier to scale horizontally out of
> the box as well and that was the bit missing from app engine, so we
> run solr and an author only plone (its still the best for workflow
> etc....)

Sure. But you could've just run the BFG app on EC2 as well, no? What was
the specific gain for GAE?