The only requirement for an object to be stored in zodb is that it is
pickeable. However, if an object is mutable (as most user-defined objects are)
its class should subclass Persistent so that updates to it are automatically
saved and it will get put as its own "record" in the database.
Practically-speaking, all user-defined objects stored in zodb should subclass
Persistent. Not doing so either implies that you really know what you are
doing, or the opposite 8^).

-Casey