Am 15.04.2010, 15:54 Uhr, schrieb Wichert Akkerman <wich...@wiggy.net>:

> Isn 't it incredibly hard to predict costs for cloud services?

Not a known and predictable requirement basis. There are problems with
some of the cheapest options such as Amazon's new auction-based service.
But for anything where large resources are required but time is not a
given, it's a good model. Indeed The Economist even recently covered the
nascent market for resources.

http://www.economist.com/business-finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15663898

We will at some point come to forget that Amazon ever sold things apart
 from CPU cycles!

There will be issues about concentration - I remember someone at
Europython last year euphorically welcoming the fact that 25% (or
relatively high percentage) of all sites are now on one of four providers.
A thought that fills me with the collywobbles, I'm not afraid to admit.
But hopefully utility computing can find its way into smaller data centres
both in-house and down the road.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark