Hi All,

Firsly, a few comments on the book chapter relating to this:

- The example on page 233 and the first one on page 234 both import
getGlobalSiteManager even though it's not used in the example.

- The example on page 235 calls hook_zca() even though I believe this
has the opposite effect to the documented one.

So, the problem I have is that I have a couple of packages that register
utilities with the ZCA. Those utilities are then looked up in
application code.

The registrations are all ensured to take place after config.begin() and
before config.end().

However, the application code is not always inside the handling of a BFG
request. Some code also runs when the application recieves incoming
stomp messages. I originally had this code create a fake http request
and fire that at Twisted's WSGI server. However, that sucked in some
fairly fundamental ways. So, that code no longer runs inside a "bfg
request".

I originally followed ChrisM's IRCadvice on this; just used the registry
attached to the config or the request. But, that made my packages
dependent on repoze.bfg, when they had no other need to be.

So, I dropped back to using getSiteManager().registerUtility and
getSiteManager().getUtility and used hook_zca as recommended in the docs.

The problem here was that while the registrations were done in the
app-specific registry, this registry had been popped off the threadlocal
stack by the time my stomp message code was called.

So, I either had to teach the stomp message code about the BFG registry
stack, and then mimic the BFG code that pushes the config's registry
onto the stack for the duration of the handling of the message. That
would once again make my packages dependent on repoze.bfg for artificial
reasons, even more so this time!

So, I went for the recipe in 26.1.3 in the book. However, this still has
the same problem because of the hook_zca call; during configuration, the
ZCA global registry is used, but without the aforementioned teaching and
mimicking, I now have the *repoze.bfg.registry* global registry on the
stack (which still doesn't have my registrations) when my stomp handling
application code is called.

So, I currently do this during app setup:

def app(global_config, **settings):
     registry = getGlobalSiteManager()
     config = Configurator(registry=registry)
     config.setup_registry(settings=settings)

     config.begin()
     ... do registrations...
     config.end()

     return config.make_wsgi_app()

(note the absence of hook_zca)

This appears to work, but is it "right"? Am I going to get bitten by
"something weird" later down the line?

cheers,

Chris