do3cc <do3cc...@googlemail.com> added the comment:

I don't mind the check for a __class__ attribute, I believe the Missing object
should provide that and created a branch that does just that.
What I don't understand, why chameleon assumes that objects not of type String,
Unicode, float or int are MessageIDs for translation. Its perfectly possible to
return lists from TAL Expressions for example.
How about catching Exceptions that can occur during translation and return the
string representation of an object. Normally, people don't actually want to show
objects, so the except clause would mostly occur during development.
Would this be a solution that does not slow down chameleon?