On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 10:55 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Chris McDonough wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 23:02 -0500, Eduardo Diaz wrote:
> >> I'm trying to use the latest version of repoze.bfg.jinja2 (0.6) on
> >> jython, when trying to build it I get the following error:
> >>

> >> building 'zope.i18nmessageid._zope_i18nmessageid_message' extension
> >>

> >> error: Compiling extensions is not supported on Jython
> >
> > I think someone may have  "fixed" zope.i1n8nmessageid recently, causing
> > this problem.  Can you try to install the older 3.5.0 version of
> > zope.i18nmessageid before installing repoze.bfg.jinja2 (e.g.
> > easy_install zope.i18nmessageid==3.5.0) and see if installing r.b.jinja2
> > works then.  If so, I'll need to figure out how to re-unfix
> > zope.i18nmessageid. ;-)
>
> The 'codeoptimizations' feature constructor can take an 'available'
> argument which could be false, e.g.:
>
> - --------------------------- %< --------------------------
> CANNOT_COMPILE = [
>     'java',
> ]
>
> codeoptimization = Feature("Optional code optimizations",
>     standard=True,
>     available=os.name not in CANNOT_COMIPLE,
>     ext_modules=[
>         Extension("zope.i18nmessageid._zope_i18nmessageid_message", [
>             os.path.join('src', 'zope', 'i18nmessageid',
>                 "_zope_i18nmessageid_message.c")
>         ]),
>     ],
> )

Thanks.  That works (I tested it under Jython).

OTOH, a platform/situation blacklist is not as convenient as the prior
method, which would just continue on if it couldn't compile due a
failure during the build step for any reason at all (e.g. missing C
compiler on Mac OS X).  This particular C extension is totally bogus and
very down-low, so it's a somewhat important distinction.