On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 05:25:19PM -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 22:18 +0100, Anusha Ranganathan wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have been trying to get repoze.what / repoze.who working with a
> > pylons 1.0 application.
> >
> > When I try to initialize my pylons application, I get the following
> > error
> >
> >     from repoze.who.config import make_middleware_with_config as
> > make_who_with_config
> > ImportError: No module named config
> >
> > I have repoze.what/repoze.who configured and working on another
> > machine but have problems getting it to work on a new installation.
> I suspect you've got some "repoze" packages installed with pip and some
> installed with easy_install.  They don't mix well.  I'd suggest maybe
> starting in a new virtualenv and installing everything using
> easy_install.

For those who haven't been bitten by this:

The issue I've seen multiple times is that easy_install supports
installing multiple versions of the same package, and pip does not.
If you use both pip and easy_install and end up with multiple
installed versions, I couldn't tell you what determines which version
of the package actually gets used; it's certainly non-obvious, and
experience suggests that murphy's law applies: it's always the one
that doesn't work.

Chris's advice is good. Start with a clean environment, pick either
pip or easy_install and use it exclusively, at least within that

Paul Winkler