Title: How to Outline your Book and Chapters with Mindmapping
Author: Judy Cullins
Copyright 2004.  All Rights Reserved.

Web Bio: Judy Cullins, 20-year Book and Internet Marketing Coach works with
small business people who want to make a difference in people's lives, build
their credibility and clients, and make a consistent life-long income. Author of
10 eBooks including "Write your eBook Fast," "How to Market your Business on
the Internet," and "Create your Web Site With Marketing Pizzazz," she offers
free help through her 2 monthly ezines, The Book Coach Says...and Business Tip
of the Month at and over 145 free
articles. Email her at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Article URL:
Article Autoresponder: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Author Contact Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Category: Writing / Publishing

use flexible thinking and relativity in writing their book. One can add and
subtract a thought or phrase from a mindmap easily. Use this color-coded way to
outline your book and chapters.

organizing, chapter heading, Judy Cullins, book coaching, book coach,
self-publishing, San Diego

Words: 620

Judy Cullins, M.A.

P.S. To receive a complete list of over 140 free articles with autoresponder
addresses go to

How to Outline your Book and Chapters with Mindmapping
Judy Cullins 2004 All Rights Reserved.

Mindmapping is better than linear outlining because authors can use flexible
thinking and relativity in writing their book. One can add and subtract a
thought or phrase from a mindmap easily. Mindmapping is an excellent way to start,
organize, and finish your book.

What is Mindmapping?

Mindmapping is a color-coded outline of main ideas, sub topics and details,
printed on different colored branches connected to the center. In the center in
a circle, you will list your main idea, such as your book or chapter title.

For "The One-Minute Sales Person", Spencer's mindmap would have had seven
different colored vertical branches coming from that center, so details can be
put on connected horizontal branches--much easier to read.

What are the advantages of Mindmapping?

First, a mindmap is open-ended and open-minded. No more squeezing new "ahas"
or ideas into the strict, tight form of the linear outline.  You can make
mistakes in your mindmaps. Imperfection leads to creativity. When you get an idea
for chapter one, you can just add another branch off the main one. Mindmapping
expands flexible thinking, making for better writing.

Second, mindmaps use only three to five concrete or color words on a branch.
These key words help jog our memory. Under Chapter One "Attracting Passion," I
added several horizontal lines that represented the format that follows.  One
line had "opening quote," the next one "introduction," the next one "Jerry's
Story," the next "Food for Thought and Action," the next, "Passion Hot Line,"
the last line, "practice."

Third, mindmaps speed up your writing because you only write key phrases.
When you sit down at the computer, from your color-coded map, the answers will
flow naturally.  If you need to fatten up your chapter, just go to your chapter
file folders where
you keep your research.

Fourth, in mindmaps you see the whole related to the parts. Your thesis,
chapter titles, and chapter contents all flow because you answered each question
your readers had. This fast-forward technique allows me to write at least two
or three books each year, and makes each book more organized, more focused and
clear, easier to read, and finally brings more sales because people can
understand the information quickly and easily.

How Do I Create My Mindmap?

Use a large sheet of paper, at least 8  by 11 inches, but I recommend a
large square of butcher paper or poster board, so you can spread out and enjoy the
process!  Have at least six or seven colored felt-tip pens in primary and
bright colors ready.

In the center, encircle your title. Arrange your chapter headings, each on a
different colored vertical branch, around the center in any order (you can
number them later). If you can't think of a title, put a few key words. Use only
one color per branch. Off each main branch, put five or so other horizontal
branches of particular chapter parts.

Even though you later change your mind about the contents, this initial
mindmap gives you the overall picture of what your book is and what it will share
with its readers. I made several mindmaps of my Passion book before I settled
on the best information to include.

Practice: Create your book's mindmap on a separate piece of paper

Practice: Create one chapter's mindmap on a separate piece of paper now.

Wow!  You are up to speed. You have your thesis--what challenge your book
will solve, your chapter working titles, your rough draft evolving with a Table
of Contents, and you have questions to answer in each chapter.

Mindmapping is an excellent way to start, organize, and finish your book.
Judy Cullins: 20-year author, speaker, book coach
Helps entrepreneurs manifest their book and web dreams
eBk: "How to Market your Business on the Internet"
Special: Complimentary Teleclass"Use Speaking and Writing to Market your
Nov. 18, 5-6:30pm PST --
FRE.E "The Book Coach Says..." or Business Tip of the Month -- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Orders: 866/200-9743 -- Ph: 619/466-0622