Title: Don't Let the Boogeyman Steal Your Dreams
Author: Keith Varnum
Word count: 1,098; 65 characters per line
Contact e-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Categories: Career & Personal Development, Essays, Lifestyle,
       Religion & Spirituality, Self-Help & How-To's, Society &
Autoresponder: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Article URL:
Author URL: http://reprintarticles.com/Keith_Varnum.php

Terms for reprint:
1. You must publish the article AS IS. Do not modify, alter or edit it.
2. The author's resource box must accompany the article at all times.
3. The link/s must be active or clickable.
4. Notifying the author is not required, but doing so is appreciated.

This article is distributed as part of the ReprintArticles.com
Featured Author service at http://reprintarticles.com/featuredauthor.php

Don't Let the Boogeyman Steal Your Dreams
by Keith Varnum

The boogeyman lurking in the closet scares the bejesus out of
little kids. "Big people" know the imaginary monster from their
childhood isn't real. Yet, adults freeze in their tracks when the
same monster pops up on their path in life.

The closer we come to reaching our dreams, the more our monstrous
emotions and mind-talk flash their urgent warnings, "Stop! Don't
go any further. You can't pull it off. You're not good enough.
You're gonna screw up. Or get hurt. Or die!" When you buy into
these threats, you can feel confused. Numb. Scattered. Unfocused.
So, ask yourself, "Is what the ego telling me true?" If you don't
challenge the propaganda of the boogeyman, you might quit going
after your dreams altogether.

When you find yourself waylaid by the ego monster, you can
reclaim your power and clarity by using facts from your life as
ammunition against the ego.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am"

Remember the old Dragnet TV cop show? Actor Jack Webb played the
no-nonsense police detective Sgt. Joe Friday. Often in the course
of his questioning, Sgt. Friday was bombarded by the frantic,
emotional babbling of confused and upset citizens. To cut to the
bottom line, the wise detective somberly requested of the women,
"Just the facts, ma'am."

By gathering facts -- and disregarding the misleading
interpretations of people's minds and emotions -- the sergeant
built a rock solid case.

In order to withstand the dream-shattering attacks of the
boogeyman, you need to establish a solid case too. By gathering
"just the facts" of your actual accomplishments -- and ignoring
the inaccurate conclusions of your ego and emotions -- you create
a solid foundation for creating your dream.

And what did Sgt. Friday do to remember his facts? He wrote 'em

Save Your Dreams with a Journal

With its constant undermining, the ego has an effective weapon to
halt your journey to happiness. The invalidation distorts your
memory. It narrows your vision. It makes you forget that you are
a valuable person. The monster deliberately distracts your
attention from the times in your life when you did create what
you wanted.

Creating a "Dream-Saver Fact Journal" of your factual successes
is an effective active step you can take to dispel the
devastating, self-defeating inner talk of the ego. Forget about
what you don't do well, or where you come up short. Jot down
what, in fact, has gone well in your life. Especially, log in
evidence that proves your ego is wrong about you being unlovable,
untalented and unworthy of having what you want.

Friendly Facts Fend Off the Funk

List miracles and major achievements. Add to your journal daily.
As you create success, document the specific, hard-core,
firsthand, personal direct evidence that you can create your life
the way you want it to be. When did you decide you needed more
money, then got a raise? When did you decide to get a better job,
and a great opportunity "appeared out of nowhere?" When did you
want a new friend or lover, and you miraculously found one?
Despite the odds being against you, when did you find the perfect
place to live? When was there something wrong with your body, and
it healed quicker than expected?

The purpose of the Dream-Saver Fact Journal is to remind you that
you have succeeded in the past, and therefore, you can triumph
now. Your own irrefutable facts will refresh your awareness that
you are lovable, talented and worthy!

Also, look for examples in your life where you felt good. Did
someone unexpectedly treat you to dinner or a movie? Did you
raise the spirits of the grocery clerk who was having a tough
day? Did someone call you out of the blue with the information
you needed? Keep track of your daily experiences of friendship,
kindness, compassion, courage and acknowledgement.

Amass indisputable proof that verifies that you are supported
when you follow your heart. Highlight actual events that
demonstrate the rewards of expressing your authentic self in the
world. Then review your achievements every time your energy and
joy begin to wane. Make notes to remind yourself that you've been
victorious in many situations. Solid evidence causes the boogey
monster to lose its power over you.

Move Past the Threats

In my own writing career, I repeatedly consult my Success Journal
throughout my process of articulating the inner workings of life.
Sometimes as I travel into uncharted territories of authentic
expression, the ego roars, "They'll kill you if you say too much
truth! or "They'll put you away because they think you're crazy."
Popular variations of the same threat are, "You'll go insane if..."
or "You'll be alone if..." or "You'll lose everything if..."
Unless I take action to counter my ego, I'm stuck in an emotional
muck hole and quickly losing sight of any way out.

Dash the Dastardly Downers

The journal is my lifesaver and ally. This factual source about
my life shows me I'm capable of continuing in the direction of my
goals. My own clear and undeniable evidence proves that I won't
die, get locked away, go crazy, be alone or lose what's important.

Call the Bluff of the Ego

Bluffing is a primary skill of a successful poker player.
Bluffing is a tactic the boogeyman has to employ since he never
really holds the winning cards. When you accumulate a wealth of
actual life experience to prove you've repeatedly reached your
goals, you have a royal flush. You're holding the winning hand.
So, when the ego monster appears, call its bluff! When the ego
spins a yarn about how you "always lose," "get hurt," or "are
going to die," pull out your ace in the hole: your journal of
facts proving you have been able to create what you want in life.

Soothe the Savage Beast

The next time you're looking for a boost in confidence, don't
listen to your mind and emotions. These rascals frame your life
in the worst possible light. Check your Dream-Saver Journal to
remind you of the successful final outcome the last time your
inaccurate mind and emotions were trying to invalidate you.

When the boogeyman growls "Whoa!" when your heart whispers "Go,"
quell the objections of your ego with proof of your creative
power. Silence your inner critic. Bore the brute to death with
true stories of your worth. Eventually the bellowing monster will
turn into a pip-squeak and stop undermining you.

By reminding yourself of "just the facts," you'll quiet the mind
and soothe the emotions so you can keep moving towards your dream.

Copyright  2005 Keith Varnum

About Keith: Keith Varnum shares his practical approach to
transformation as an author, radio host and "Dream Workshops"
facilitator. Keith helps people get love, money, health and
spirit with his free Prosperity Ezine, free Empowerment CD and
free Coaching at www.TheDream.com.

List of articles by Keith Varnum: [EMAIL PROTECTED]