publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.  Please do not
make changes without permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Turkey Medallions and Hawaiian Bread
By Monica Resinger, Editor The Homemaker's Journal

One meal planning challenge for me has been to `lighten up' for my family's
and my health. My husband and I were both raised on `meat and potatoes' so it
has been a difficult change. But we are making gradual progress.

One way to lighten up is by substituting ground turkey for ground beef. To
us, this is a huge taste difference and hard to get used to when we're used to
the ground beef flavor. However, I have found recipes made especially for
ground turkey and they are much better. The `Turkey Medallions With Orange
Sauce' recipe you'll find below is one such recipe. It is delicious and is
almost a complete meal by itself with the meat and vegetables. But to round the
meal out and make it more filling, serve it with `Hawaiian Bread' (recipe
below) or thickly sliced French bread from the local bakery that has been
in the oven. If you are trying to lighten up, go easy on the butter (if any at

The Meal:

Turkey Medallions with Orange Teriyaki Sauce
Your choice of bread

Turkey Medallions with Orange Teriyaki Sauce
2 Tsp olive oil
1/2 of a small onion -- minced
1 celery stalk -- minced
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Lb lean ground turkey
2 Tsp prepared Horseradish
chopped parsley
6 small carrots cut in 1-inch pieces
1/4 Lb Pea Pods
1/3 C Orange Juice
1 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
1 Tsp Flour
Parsley Sprigs For Garnish

1. In 1 quart saucepan over medium high heat, in olive oil, cook celery,
onion, salt & ground ginger till tender.

2. In medium bowl, mix ground turkey, vegetable mixture, horseradish & 1 tbsp
chopped parsley till blended. Shape mixture into 8, 3-inch round medallions.

3. In 12" skillet over medium high heat, in 1 tbsp hot olive oil, cook
medallions till golden brown on both sides & turkey loses pink color, about 10
minutes. Arrange on platter, keep warm.

4. Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan over high heat in 1" boiling water heat
carrots to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover & simmer 5 minutes or till
tender-crisp. Stir in pea pods & cook, covered, 2 minutes. Drain. Arrange
with turkey on platter. In a cup mix orange juice, teriyaki sauce, flour, 1
tbsp chopped parsley & 1/3 cup water till smooth; stir into skillet over high
heat to boiling stirring to loosen bits. Boil 1 minute. Pour over medallions.

Hawaiian Bread for the bread machine
This is for a 1 1/2 lb loaf

Mash 1 overripe banana in a 1 cup measuring cup. Finish filling with crushed
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup potato flakes
3 cups bread flour
4 Tbsp margarine
1 1/2 tsp quick yeast

Add ingredients according to your machine's instructions. Bake in bread
machine on light.

Hope you enjoy this meal.

Get Monica's FREE e-zine for homemakers 3 times per week; just send a blank
e-mail to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Get FREE home and garden e-books at Monica's website, 'Homemaker's Journal
E-publications'; Click here: