publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and
links are made active if possible.  Please do not make changes without
permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication this article is included in
would be
appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Great Bargains at Thrift Stores and Yard Sales
by Monica Resinger

I love the thrift stores and yard sales because there is a great variety of
items and these items are usually very inexpensive which saves me a lot of
money for spending on other items or saving. Here are some examples of great
deals
that I find.

Books: I love reading and before I discovered the books at the thrift stores,
I was a book club member spending a small fortune on books. Then I realized I
could find books at the thrift stores for a fraction of the price. This is
our local Goodwill's prices for books: hardbacks: $2.99, paperbacks: $1.99,
magazines (this includes craft leaflets) .29, children's books .99. There is a
great variety and the books are organized into categories. You can also find
books at yard sales, but usually there isn't a huge variety. If you are lucky
enough to find a book you want at a yard sale, it's a lot cheaper than even the
thrift stores!

Coffee mugs: Our local Goodwill charges .50 cents each! What a steal! These
are mugs that are in good condition and yes, it's possible to find them without
chips. In fact, most of them look like new. Yard sales are usually cheaper
yet.

Craft items: I have found brand new or very close to brand new squeeze type
dimensional paint and acrylic paint for .25 cents each--another steal! I have
also found beads in plastic baggies for .25 cents each. Silk flowers in large
plastic baggies I have found for as low as .79 cents and as high as $1.59.
There is also a ton of sewing patterns and material--I'm not sure of the prices
on
these because I'm not a sewer, but I'm sure they are a good bargain. Knitting
needles and sometimes crochet needles are another find.

Picture Frames: Picture frames at the Goodwill usually run from .99 to 2.99
depending on how large and what shape the frame is in.

Household decorations: I decided to re-do our living room in a tropical, sea
type theme. I had a lot of fun with this project and still am. If you go to
the thrift store with a theme in mind such as this, you will find all sorts of
stuff! My favorite find was a puzzle someone had put together and framed for
$1.99. The puzzle was a picture of underwater life including a turtle and
tropical fish. I have found fish tank decorations for around .49 cents and if
any of
you have bought these brand new, you know they are very expensive. I have
found ceramic shells, real shells, ceramic fish, paper mache fish, and more
very
inexpensive items to decorate my living room. I decorate all rooms of the
house including the front and back porch with this method, and if I ever want
change a theme, it's pretty cheap to do it.

Clothes: I can't stand paying $30 for a shirt or a pair of pants. I really
can't stand paying $30 for children's shirts, pants or shoes because they grow
out of them so quick. Some people may frown on buying used clothes, but I see
it as sensible. Most of the clothes found in the thrift stores and yard sales
are in very good shape and you can't even tell they are used. My daughter who
is twelve enjoys looking for clothes at the Goodwill more than I do. Sometimes
when I shop department stores for clothes, I can't find anything I like, but
at the thrift stores, there is such a variety that I don't have a problem with
this. A few years ago, I paid $9.00 each for pretty, new looking winter coats
for my daughter and I.

Baking pans: A few months back, I needed a loaf pan, so searched the
Goodwill. Sure enough, I found one that looked brand new for .69 cents!

School supplies: I have found kid's Fiskars scissors for .49 cents and
binders for .69-.99 cents. There is also bagged markers, pencils and crayons.

Rubbermaid or Tupperware containers: These are only .19 to .29 cents. It will
take some digging to find container and lid matches sometimes, but for the
price--dig!

What is needed to find treasures at thrift stores and yard sales is patience
and knowing what you want.  I go on a regular, sometimes weekly, basis which
allows me to find a great variety of items.

I hope this article has inspired you to go look for great bargains at the
thrift stores and yard sales. Another benefit of shopping this way is helping
the
earth by keeping this stuff out of the landfills.

Get Monica's FREE e-zine for homemakers 3 times per week; just send a blank
e-mail to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Get FREE home and garden e-books at Monica's website, 'Homemaker's Journal
E-publications';
Click here:  http://homemakersjournal.com