Title: Story Development Software: Good or Evil?
Author: David B. Silva
Word count: 633; 65 characters per line
Contact e-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Categories: Writing & Publishing
Autoresponder: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Article URL: http://reprintarticles.com/story_development_software.php
Author URL: http://reprintarticles.com/David_Silva.php

Terms for reprint:
1. You must publish the article AS IS. Do not modify, alter or edit it.
2. The author's resource box must accompany the article at all times.
3. The link/s must be active or clickable.
4. Notifying the author is not required, but doing so is appreciated.

This article is distributed as part of the ReprintArticles.com
Featured Author service at http://reprintarticles.com/featuredauthor.php

Story Development Software: Good or Evil?
by David B. Silva

In the early days of the personal computer, we're talking the
mid-'80s here, there was speculation that someday books would all
be writen by computers. It sounded a little too science-fictiony
for most writers. After all, words on a page--no matter how well
they appear to work together--are meaningless without the
insights and experiences of the writer behind them.

At this point in time, I'm happy to report, computers are not
writing all our books for us.

However, writing software has progressed far beyond the basic
word processing abilities of Word and Word Perfect.

Today, we have a wide variety of story development software. Most
can be used to write novels or screenplays, even television
scripts or stage plays. Programs such as Truby's Blockbuster or
Dramatica Pro teach their own unique approach to story
development. Other programs, such as Power Structure, StoryBase,
and StoryWeaver provide prompts for help with character,
structure, and theme.

They do not write the story for us.

But they are coming closer.

Dramatica Pro, for instance, uses what it refers to as a story
engine, that reveals relationships of deep structure independent
of subject and content. It takes you by the hand and shows you
what character, plot and theme issues you need to address. And
finally, it weaves all your plot points together for maximum
Dramatica Pro impact.

Truby's Blockbuster helps you find the best story form for your
genre work, helps you develop the 7 keys that provide the nucleus
for your story, and then lays out the 22 steps of story
development to carry your plot from start to finish.

I've used most of these programs at one time or another. While I
believe Dramatica Pro has great potential and a unique take on
story development, it also has a steep learning curve. Personally,
I turn to writing software to save time. If it drains my time to
learn how to use it properly, then it defeats its purpose.

Truby's Blockbuster, on the other hand, quickly gets me to the
heart of my story and has me putting the pieces together in a
relatively short time. I don't use it for all my projects, but
find it most helpful for the bigger books.

Could I write without the use of software?

Of course.

Would my stories be better for it?

Probably no better. Probably no worse.>p>

Then what's the point?

The point is this: story development software can serve both good
and evil, depending on how you use it. If you rely too heavily on
the software, then you defeat the purpose of being a writer,
which is to bring your own take on the world into your work. Your
stories will likely begin to all read alike, very cookie-cutter
and pre-fabbed. You'll be moving us another step closer to the
day when computers will write our books for us.

But if you use the software to organize your thoughts, to make
the initial brainstorming process quicker and more efficient,
without relying too heavily on each and every aspect of the
software, then it can serve the good in your work.

Much like the rules of grammar, the rules of struture and story
development are there to guide you. Once you thoroughly
understand how they work, you're freer to break them. This is
when you step forward as a writer, with your own voice, and your
own creative approach to writing.

If you'd like to check out some of these programs, here are some
good places to get started:

Novel-Writing Programs:
http://thesuccessfulwriter.com/novelwritingsoftware/

Screenwriting Programs:
http://thesuccessfulwriter.com/screenwritingsoftware/

Whether you decide to use story-development software or not--
Steinbeck, Hemmingway, Faulkner and many others did just fine
without them--always remember to bring yourself to your work.

That's the only true way you'll ever be an original writer.

Copyright  2005 David B. Silva

About David: David B. Silva has written eight novels. His most
recent, All The Lonely People, is published by Delirium Press.
He's awaiting the release of The Hawke Legacy, a novel of epic
horror, from Subterranean Press. His short fiction has appeared
in The Year's Best Horror, The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror, and
The Best American Mystery Stories. In 1991, he won a Bram Stoker
Award for his short story, The Calling. Visit his site,
http://www.thesuccessfulwriter.com

---END---

List of articles by David Silva: [EMAIL PROTECTED]