Article Title: How to Respond to Art's Call
Author Name: Julie Jordan Scott
Contact Email Address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Word Count: 759
Category: Personal Development, Creativity
Copyright Date: 2005

Publishing Guidelines: Thank you for publishing this article in its
entirety including the resource box. When possible, please notify me
of publication by sending either a website link or a copy of your
ezine upon publication via email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  THANKS!

How to Respond to Art's Call
© 2005
Julie Jordan Scott

I wondered why I woke up so early this morning - it
made sense that I would sleep and sleep and sleep
some more. I went to bed at about eleven o'clock - my
earliest since I don't know when. but I still would
have thought I had a couple days worth of
sleeping to do.

I sat at my dining room table, writing my requisite
three pages in the cheap, discount store notebook
and my mind wandered to the audition forms for
"5 Women" sitting in the desk to my left hand.

I wanted to reach over and pull them out of
the drawer and re-read them.

"Focus, Julie, Focus" I whispered aloud to myself.

I kept writing. I wrote about chemistry, I wrote
about people being annoyed at other people.  I
wrote about Writing as an art form. I wrote
about tennis shoes and Sarah and Larry and
life being, as Stephen King says, "not a
support system for art, it is the other way around."

I closed with a free-flow prose poem about
what art is and finally coming to the page
three conclusion that I am art.

I dotted that final sentence and reached into
the drawer, my itchy fingers reveling in the
soothing feeling of the 5 Women audition forms.

One of the aspects of the audition which
surprised me was how many people who
came who I don't know.  These were experienced,
capable people whose lives, for whatever reason,
had not intersected with mine until this moment.

And then there were the people I knew.
Beloveds: each one.

There is a question on the audition form that
asks "Why do you want to be a part of this
production?" and their responses included,
"Because I have enjoyed my experience in "Miracle"
and feel that it would be great to work in such
a positive environment." Simply "Julie" and "the
invitation from the director has motivated me to
get back into acting after not acting for 5 years"
and "because Julie rocks."

Tears flooded my eyes. They got more potent
when I read people using the words
"The Director" in relationship to me.

I wasn't one of those people who pursued
acting to become a director.  It didn't
even occur to me at first.  Instead, directing
rushed up to greet me and opened its arms,
"Come in, come in!" it seemed to beckon.

Tim keeps joking with me about this path
I have been taking.  He has been calling me
"R.I.T." with the "I.T" meaning, "In training."

The first time he called me this I looked at him
and frowned. "In training?  My training has been
going with my gut. That's what I do when I direct,
I follow my instincts.  Period."

I don't know why Tim's comments got under my
skin, and I don't know why I responded disdainfully,
because today as I process my experience of the
last few months up to and including yesterday, I
begin to see an inkling once again that all of
 this - and all of life, really has nothing to do with
what my ego thinks about or plans or chooses.

It is about the seeds of art which begin to grow
when we choose life - when we decide to take
on the tasks which scare us to even consider, or
agree to do something we didn't even want to
do in the first place because celestial
whispers are coaxing us to do it anyway.

It is because there may be some one waiting
for your exact presence in some exact moment
in the future that you don't have the vaguest
idea of in this present moment.

It is about starting exactly where you are, looking
straight ahead, picking up one foot and plunking
it down and doing that same movement over
and over and over and over.

It is about trusting your gut, your breath,
your heartbeat, your inner (and outer) voice
and knowing when things seem to "go wrong",
it is about picking yourself up, dusting yourself
off and moving your feet again - even if it means
changing into more comfortable shoes and wooly
socks and perhaps taking a snooze on a
soft bed for a little while.

It is about waking up when your eyes open
instead of insisting on having it "your" way.

It is about opening your arms to art and letting it
enfold you and creating whatever art asks
you to bring it to form.

It is about saying yes.

Yes.

Yes.

======
Julie Jordan Scott is a Writer, Speaker, Success Coach, Actor,
Workshop Facilitator and Mother Extraordinaire who works with
creative, active oriented people to lead remarkable lives
through coaching, teleclasses and ecourses. Visit her website
to find out more and subscribe to her award winning ezines now.
http://www.5passions.com - Dare to Discover Your Passion

http://us.click.yahoo.com/I258zB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/AZzolB/TM