publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and
links are made active if possible.  A courtesy copy of the publication this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thirteen Easy Ways to Reduce your Food Budget
By Monica Resinger

When trying to cut expenses, food is a great place to start because there are
so many opportunities to save.  One way to watch your savings pile up and be
able to use it for a goal, such as a vacation, down payment on a home or
paying off debt, is to put the cash you saved from any purchase into an
envelope or
a jar until you get enough to make a bank savings deposit.  Make a strict
rule to not use the money for anything else but your goal.  Here are thirteeen
easy ways to reduce your food budget that will help you achieve this:

1.  If you don’t want to stop going out to eat, check your local newspaper,
the back of grocery receipts and junk mail flyers for restaurant coupons.  A
lot of restaurants offer ‘buy 1 meal get 1 free’ on certain days of the week.
If you want to cut back even more, cut back on the number of times you go out
in a month or week.

2.  Shop grocery outlets.  Every major city has them.  Ours is called *The
Canned Food Warehouse*.  Not every item in the store is a deal; you have to
normal food prices to compare, but when you do find a deal, it is usually a
great one.  You will find enough of these deals to make your trip worth it.

3.  Be sure to comparison shop.  Look at the sale tag on the item’s shelf and
see how much per pound, ounce or whatever the item is sold as.  Compare that
to the other products to determine which is the best deal.

4.  Always check the weekly grocery ads for the good sales.  If there is a
really good deal on something, be sure to buy it in multiples.  This will save
you from paying full price later.

5.  Use coupons for food products.  I have found the best way to use them is
combined with a sale.  Most of the time, if you use a coupon without combining
it with a sale, you will still be paying more than other brands, so be sure
to watch for this.

6.  Always use your leftovers.  This saves a tremendous amount of money and
time by extending your shopping trips.  If you need ideas for using leftovers,
check out *The Leftover Recipe E-book* that includes over 100 ideas and
recipes for leftovers here:

7.  Grow as much produce as you can to eat fresh and/or preserve for later.
To save as much money as possible, start plants from seed. This can really add
up quick and you will know how your food was grown rather than wondering what
chemicals may have been applied to the plants of the produce you purchase.
If you purchase organic produce to relieve this worry, it can be quite

8.  Stop buying junk food, sodas and prepared food.  These are not only
expensive, but unhealthy, therefore a waste of your hard-earned dollars.

9.  Always shop with a grocery list and stick to it so you don‘t buy
unnecessary or expensive items.

10.  Never shop hungry!  Have you ever gone grocery shopping hungry?  I have
and I wanted to buy everything in sight because everything looked delicious!
I didn't buy everything in sight, but, I did increase our grocery bill that
day!  Also, because I was hungry, I didn’t feel like shopping or making
decisions so this added to the problem.

11.  About Kids.  It is good training for kids, if they are old enough, to
comparison shop; I usually ask mine to go get the cheapest ketchup, or whatever
is nearby so I can still see them, so they get hands-on experience (you'll
need to supervise this in the beginning, then later you'll be able to trust
are making the right decisions).  Kids have a tendency to ask for things in
the store; the best way to handle this is to let them get something within a
price limit and keep this limit each time you go shopping.  If your kids are
younger, you may want to consider leaving them at home with a friend or
relative; younger kids can tire and get difficult in the store spoiling your

12.  Shop at the store’s off-peak hours when you will be less rushed and can
make better decisions.

13.  For many, many more ways to save money, check out The Frugal Living
E-book Package that includes the following 7 e-books:   ~ The Big E-book of
Tips ~ Fantastic Frugal Grocery Tips ~ Homemade Household Cleaners ~ Journal
Jar (Wonderful Homemade Gift Idea) ~ Frugal Creative Christmas Ideas! ~ Turn
your Recyclables Into Crafts! ~ The Leftover Recipe E-Book
Click here for information:

Apply these tips to your life and I guarantee you'll see results!

Get Monica's FREE e-zine for homemakers!  Each issue includes a home & garden
article, delicious recipes and more! To subscribe, just send a blank e-mail
Check out the 56 home, garden and recipe e-books full of reader tips that
have been published here: