Free-Reprint Article Written by: Mark Susnow

Life Lessons from the River

Article Description:
Wouldn't it be great if there was a formula if followed would
be the answer to all of your problems and concerns. We are all
intrigued by books that promise us a better life.

Distribution Date and Time: Fri Feb  3 01:53:30 EST 2006

Written By:     Mark Susnow
Copyright:      2006, All Rights Reserved

Mark Susnow's Picture URL:

Life Lessons from the River
Copyright © 2006 Mark Susnow, All Rights Reserved
Inspire Possibility

Wouldn't it be great if there was a formula if followed would be
the answer to all of your problems and concerns. We are all
intrigued by books that promise us a better life. And many of us
are looking for the secrets of the ages that promise us

I know that was my quest at one time in my life. In the seventies
I had very few responsibilities and was a student of
Transcendental Meditation. The pursuit of enlightenment was the
carrot I was searching for. Today with a family, career and other
responsibilities I no longer think about enlightenment. I do
think about being a more fulfilled person and becoming fully
engaged with life. It is an exciting journey that is full of
surprises and mystery.

I never thought I would be embracing the internet as I do. It has
enabled me to be in contact with people from all over the world.
For the last five years I have had the privilege of being a guide
for many fellow travelers along the river of life.

I know that I make frequent references to the river of life. When
I was 12 years old my Uncle Sam took me on a week long river
rafting trip sponsored by the Sierra Club on the Green River in
Colorado. I remember it like it was yesterday. We flew from San
Francisco to Boise and then caught a little six seater plane that
flew over the mountains and landed in a town near our campsite.
Already an adventure for a 12 year old we drove to the river. On
the second day of the trip I was swimming along the side of the
raft when I noticed the raft getting ahead of me and I heard the
yells: "Get in the boat." But it was too late...As I swam toward
the boat against the current I became tired. And then I heard the
yells: "Stay in the center." I was propelled through the rapids
right behind the boat. And as the water became calm I was able to
relax for a second. And then I noticed that the boat was still
ahead of me and the next series of rapids was approaching. My
uncle extended an oar to me and I was able to grab it and be
pulled onto the boat. My exciting adventure was over and I had a
lot to talk about the rest of the trip.

"The river" has a current all its own that is constantly
changing. As we learn to navigate and embrace these changes our
life becomes more fulfilling and exciting. But if we resist
theses changes that are going to occur anyway because that's the
nature of rivers, we will struggle and when we struggle we
usually don't make very good decisions.

Sometimes that struggle occurs when we are overwhelmed by all of
the demands of our life. And at other times it occurs because our
lives are hopelessly out of balance. Others experience struggle
and despair because of all of the suffering in the world.

At some level we might feel that something is fundamentally
missing. Whatever our life challenges are we want more from life
than what we are currently experiencing.

Our quest is to satisfy that longing. It is dancing on the edge
between our current reality and the life we want that presents
the challenge and opportunity.

Let the river be our teacher in this adventure called life. Let
it teach us what is necessary to navigate these waters and to
make the journey fulfilling, adventurous and meaningful.

1. Find and live from your center. That was the message from the
Green River. When you are centered and connected to your inner
most being you are connected with the source of everything. I
felt the safest and most secure when I was in the center of the
river and the water could flow effortlessly. Meditation enables
me to connect with that center every day.

2. Get out of your comfort zone. I could have stayed in the boat
and played it safe but I was curious and adventurous. My comfort
zone for me was my law practice and as a result my life for many
years was on hold. Getting in the current and flow of life
involves risk but that is what you need to so sometimes.
Relationships also involve risk.... getting in them and getting
out of them.

3. Learn to let go of resistance. Resistance is a struggle and
makes you tired. At first I resisted the current of the river and
tried to swim back to the boat. But I became tired from the
struggle. Then I let go and stayed in the center and enjoyed the
adventure. When you allow yourself to flow with what is, there
will be a synchronicity in your life that seems magical.

4. Be prepared. I wore a life preserver on the river. When you
are prepared you can relax and enjoy life more. Preparation
involves taking care of your mind and body. It involves eating
well and exercising. It involves being informed and being
curious. It also involves working on yourself. As you expand who
you are, your sense of what is possible in your life also

5. Trust others and work together. You can't do it alone and why
would you want to. When you are open and willing to receive you
can create a synergy in your life that is greater than the sum of
the individual parts. When the oar is extended accept it.

6. Develop the practice of gratitude. I was grateful for that
oar. I was grateful that I got to experience the river. And I am
grateful for my life. We all have a lot to be grateful for. By
expressing gratitude for some of the inner qualities that are
most important to us such as the ability to love, to smile and to
connect with each other we expand our ability to attract to us
these qualities.

7. The River of Life is a great mystery. I am becoming
increasingly more comfortable with not knowing the next step. And
when it comes I enjoy taking it. The river is unpredictable and
you can't figure it out. Whether the water is still or raging it
is still the same water. You have to just flow with it and enjoy
the adventure.

With each passing year I am blessed to share the journey with
many new like minded travelers. Thank you for reading Letters on
Life and expanding our circle by forwarding this letter to those
in your circle. The internet has been instrumental in connecting
us with other like minded people all over the world. Letters on
Life is now translated into three languages and last month people
from 65 countries visited By the way when
is your next river rafting trip?

Journey On

(415) 453-5016

Mark Susnow has a unique background. Formerly a successful trial
attorney for 30 years, as well as musician, he integrates what it
takes to be truly prosperous in the world with the inner wisdom
unfolded to him through years of yoga and meditation practice.
As a personal coach, leadership consultant and inspirational
speaker, Mark provides inspiration and motivation to many
business leaders and professionals. He knows what it means to
have a big vision and has demonstrated the courage and energy
it takes to accomplish it. Consider contacting Mark and be
sure to visit his website:

  or her work. Mark Susnow can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Mark Susnow