Free-Reprint Article Written by: Tracy Piercy, CFP

"Lucky" Financial Planning?

Article Description:
Recently, in our neighbourhood we witnessed a spectacular house
fire where the home was completely destroyed.  An obvious tragedy
to the owner, yet a powerful reminder to be grateful for all we
have – including our ability to plan ahead.

Distribution Date and Time: Fri Feb  3 15:36:24 EST 2006

Written By:     Tracy Piercy, CFP

For more free-reprint articles by this Author, please visit:,_CFP

"Lucky" Financial Planning?
Copyright © 2006 Tracy Piercy, CFP
Money Minding

Recently, in our neighbourhood we witnessed a spectacular house
fire where the home was completely destroyed.  An obvious tragedy
to the owner, yet a powerful reminder to be grateful for all we
have – including our ability to plan ahead.

Usually these fire stories are reported along with appeals for
donations for the unfortunate family who lost everything they
owned.  Everyone says "how sad" and pitch in with whatever they
can.  In this tragedy however, it was reported that the homeowner
"luckily had insurance."

Luckily???  Maybe thoughtfully?  Or thankfully?  But certainly
not luckily??   Perhaps simply a poor choice of words, but then
again, often what we say is how we think.  Is it luck that
someone lands a high paying job in his or her field of work?  Is
it luck that someone is able to retire in their early 50"s?  Or
live in a big home, drive nice cars and enjoy all the luxuries of
a financially successful life?  Unfortunately, we often hear
people discussing financial success as lucky.  Perhaps this is
why many people are still "hoping" they will win the lottery to
support them in their retirement.  Same with the stock market:
many people "play" the stock market because they think they are
going to "get lucky".  They forget that what they are doing is
making business decisions about companies to invest their money

There was no luck involved for this homeowner!  They deliberately
contacted an insurance provider and took precautions to protect
their risk.  This was part of their financial planning!  If you
are "hoping" you're going to "get lucky" you aren't taking
control.  Financial planning is about being in control.

There are many financial risks and any one of them could
completely wipe you out financially and perhaps emotionally too.
So, one of the first steps to establishing a solid financial plan
is to understand your risks and to take precautions to minimize
them.  There is no luck involved in preparing in case a tragedy
occurs.  If you aren't aware of where your risks are, or haven't
evaluated them recently, a review with a qualified financial
advisor and reputable firm is in order.  If a fire isn't enough
of a wake-up call to everyone of the magnitude and impact of
financial risk, consider all the potential areas of exposure:
death, sickness, loss of income, loss of money, old age,
unexpected accidents or repairs, and on and on.

Obviously some areas can be covered by insurance:  home, auto,
disability, life, medical, critical illness, long term care,
credit, business overhead, etc.  But consider some of these in
your evaluations:

 * Source of income:  Is there more than one?  How much are
   you in control of its continuity?  Haven't we all seen
   families almost devastated by a downsizing?

 * Investment protection:  Do you have a loss protection plan
   or are you "hoping" for a recovery and planning on only
   positive returns?  Why do you have the investments you have?
   Do you know someone who hung on to a "sure" investment only
   to find the money almost completely disappears?

 * Your retirement:  How many sources of income are you
   planning to receive?  Are you planning to retire at a
   particular age or at a particular financial landmark?
   Retirement means you are financially independent so you
   can chose to leave the workforce.  Is that your plan?

Financial planning is not about luck!!!  You must thoughtfully
plan where you want to be and carefully put the pieces together
to get you there – including protecting yourself against
potential risks!!

Tracy Piercy, a Certified Financial Planner, offers proven
practical success principles, tools, ideas and strategies
integrated with practical financial planning strategies. She
has worked in the financial industry, in insurance, banking,
and as a well respected investment advisor with CIBC Wood Gundy,
for more than 15 years. Tracy is the author of Enlightened
Wealth, a personal money journal
You can reach Tracy at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  or her work. Tracy Piercy, CFP can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Tracy Piercy, CFP