Free-Reprint Article Written by: Geela

Immigrants – The True And Untold Story Of America

Article Description:
During economic and social uncertainty people feel the urge to
find a scapegoat.  So they blame their misfortunes on somebody,
anybody, just so they don't have to take personal responsibility
and look in the mirror first.

Distribution Date and Time: Fri Feb  3 16:59:12 EST 2006

Written By:     Geela
Copyright:      2004-2006

Immigrants – The True And Untold Story Of America
Copyright © 2004-2006 Geela
Author of "The American Dream"

During economic and social uncertainty people feel the urge to
find a scapegoat.  So they blame their misfortunes on somebody,
anybody, just so they don't have to take personal responsibility
and look in the mirror first.  The fear of the unknown, which is
inherent in human nature, eventually leads to the overwhelming
and irrational urge to hate accompanied by the desire to destroy
or get rid of the perceived "threat."

Immigrants, particularly those who are not from European
countries, fall into this unholy category.  Immigrant bashing is
at an all-time high, especially in states such as California
where the percentage of immigrants is the highest in the nation.
Virtually every time we hear about immigrants in the news, it's
not about celebrating their many contributions, sacrifice or
heartwarming love and loyalty for this country, but rather about
how they break the laws and drain the system.  Never mind that
law-breakers and bloodsuckers are found in every group of people.

A contributing factor to our beliefs about immigrants is the
perception that they are uneducated and a liability, and
therefore undeserving of what America has to offer. This negative
image is perpetuated not only by the media but also by various
special interest groups, including some self-serving politicians
who would try to divide and conquer by spreading hatred.

Not only do immigrants become the butt of jokes, but they also
become a convenient target for discrimination, bias and
prejudice, all of which inspire feelings of low self-esteem and
an inferiority complex born out of feeling like second-class
citizens who are not welcomed here, unless of-course they happen
to be Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The blame game is not only inconsistent with the American way,
but it is equally unfair and destructive.  Above all, it's
hypocritical.  That's because whether people realize it or not,
America is a nation of immigrants. The fact is that every
American is either an immigrant or a descendent of an immigrant.
In fact, immigrants are the true story of America.  There are
countless inspirational stories of immigrants who made a
tremendous difference and contributed to the fabric of the
American heritage.  What many are unaware of is the untold story
of immigrants who sometimes risk their lives to come to the Land
of Opportunity, many came for religious and political freedom.
They work unbelievably hard, often in poor conditions, and are
faced with enormous challenges and struggles (from adapting to a
new culture and learning a new language to biases and
prejudices), just to get a piece of the American Dream.

Immigrants have to leave their families and homeland for the
chance to improve the quality of their lives.  But too often they
end up feeling like a stranger in a strange land (even though
they have a deep love for this country).  They wind up feeling
"in it, but not of it," no matter how hard they try to assimilate
into the American culture.

Like anything else in life, there is good, bad and ugly in every
group of people (including immigrants).  In a country that
presumably prides itself on fairness and justice for all, it
seems strange that people would look down on immigrants when
immigrants typically love this country more than those were born

The never-ending attack on immigrants is symptomatic of something
much larger. It's a reflection of intolerance for differences
(i.e. lack of acceptance).  It's also an indication that while we
may be living in a space age, morally and spiritually we still
live in the stone-age. The use of such a narrow definition in
describing people as this or that is a reflection of limited
awareness.  It is through increased awareness and the
understanding of the unity of life, that acceptance is possible.
It is through acceptance that peace and cultural harmony are
possible, which ultimately leads to total prosperity and a free
and thriving society.

So go ahead and love'em or hate'em – but also know that
immigrants are simply a fact of life that can not and should not
be ignored.  Perhaps a more productive way of dealing with this
emotionally charged issue is by increasing the level of our
awareness of the true story of immigrants while celebrating their
contributions that helped shape the fabric of a society and
heritage we've come to know and love as America.

And the next time the urge of bashing immigrants hits you, stop
and ask yourself, "Am I being fair and intellectually honest, or
am I just venting my own personal frustrations and mirroring my
own inadequacies?"  Better yet, why not be the change you wish to
see in society? And why not shift the focus from a narrow
definition and scope of humans (such as: black, white, or
immigrant/non-immigrant) to a much larger definition that's
inclusive and more accurately reflective of our true identity
which is beyond any artificial barrier of color, race, place of
origin or even religion. Why not simplify things by adopting only
one definition: Decent human beings (those who contribute to
society) and indecent human beings (those who are grabbers and
destroyers).  Why limit your rainbow of happiness and prosperity
to one color when you can enjoy the whole spectrum?

Think of all the opportunities for attaining total prosperity and
even cultural harmony and real peace. These are limited only by
our imagination.  When you live by the mantra "live and let
live," guided by the power of love rather than love of power,
it's easy to celebrate the contributions of immigrants and the
diversity, which is the mosaic of life.  Now that makes both good
sense and good economics for every one.

Copyright © 2004-2006, Geela
Author of "The American Dream"

Geela is an award winning singer/songwriter/composer, columnist,
and author of the best-selling book "THE AMERICAN DREAM," her
true- life story of how she came to America as a young immigrant
with nothing and overcame incredible obstacles to achieve
mega-success. She founded ONE SPIRIT, ONE WORLD to help children
and promote a culture of peace and harmony. Get a free sample
of her music and her book at

  or her work. Geela can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Geela