Free-Reprint Article Written by: Donna Price
See Terms of Reprint Below.

*
*
*    ReprintArticles-Paradise@yahoogroups.com
*

This article has been distributed by:
http://Article-Distribution.com

Helpful Link:

Article Title:
==============
Screaming Employees? How To Effectively Resolve Conflicts In The Workplace

Article Description:
====================
Do you have employees that are out and out fighting with each
other at work?  Yelling, screaming, not getting along or perhaps
has difficult relationships with their supervisor?

Additional Article Information:
===============================
Distribution Date and Time: Wed Feb  8 02:00:55 EST 2006

Written By:     Donna Price
Copyright:      2006

Article URL:
http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/p/resolve-conflicts-in-workspace.shtml

Donna Price's Picture URL:
   http://www.businessbuildersintensive.com/images/donna.jpg

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Donna_Price

Screaming Employees? How To Effectively Resolve Conflicts In The Workplace
Copyright © 2006 Donna Price
Business Builders Intensive
http://www.businessbuildersintensive.com

Do you have employees that are out and out fighting with each
other at work?  Yelling, screaming, not getting along or perhaps
has difficult relationships with their supervisor?

Conflicts in the workplace happen frequently and the fallout can
be costly to the employer and the employee.  Developing the
skills to resolve conflicts that arise can save your company
significant money.  First let's look at the costs:

1. Decreased productivity due to the emotions involved in
   interpersonal conflict.

2. time lost from work by employees

3. time lost from work by managers involved in the conflict

4. recruitment and training of new employees

5. decreased productivity by other staff due to tension/stress
   and the overall work environment

The root of many conflicts is communication: either unclear
communication, resulting in misunderstandings.  One strategy to
address rising incidents of conflict is communication training.
Teaching people how to listen and how to talk clearly can prevent
and decrease conflicts.  Communication is such a challenge.  So
often, we feel we have been really clear, only to find out that
the other person really misunderstood us.    Being a clear
communicator takes commitment.  You need to be able to talk in a
neutral sort of way, eliminating inflammatory emotions.  Speak
from the heart and listen from the heart are good basic
guidelines.  Beyond the basics, are to listen deeply to what the
other person is saying and then to check-in with them.  Ask them:
"is this what you are saying?"  It lets the person you are
talking with know what you have understood and gives them the
opportunity to clarify or correct misunderstandings.

What do you do when the conflicts have escalated?  Resolving
conflicts are good for everyone involved, but sometimes it's hard
to see that in the moment for the people directly in conflict.
As mentioned earlier, conflict is costly.  Sometimes as the
owner, or manager we forget that there is a great cost to us but
also to the employee.  Changing jobs due to a conflict means a
great deal of change for an employee.  They might not be able to
get the same level of pay; benefits; shifts, etc that they are
accustomed to.   The impact to the employee and their family can
be high.

As the leader you can set-up an effective environment to resolve
the dispute by following some simple steps and laying out a
couple of guidelines.

First, spend time talking with each person involved.  Let them
know that your belief is that developing a shared solution is
important to each person and that you value each of the employees
involved.  During the individual meetings you can begin to gather
information about what they see as the possible solutions.  Let
the employees know that your intent is to meet with each of them
and then with them together, to talk about their perspective and
possible solutions to the conflict.

Use A Simple & Effective Process:

1. Create a safe space for involved parties to talk.
   (private, neutral)

2. Set out the guidelines:
   * Only one person talks at a time
   * No interruptions, defending or justifying
   * Come in with an open mind, open to the possible solutions
     and be willing to compromise.

3. Give each person an opportunity to tell their story, from their
   perspective.  Remind the other people involved that we are each
   listening, listening to each person's perspective.  This is a
   key.

4. Paraphrase the stories of each person. This ensures that each
   story has been understood.  Using phrases such as "What I am
   hearing you say is... Is that right?"

5. After everyone has had an opportunity to tell their story,
   brainstorm possible solutions. Again, this isn't a time to
   judge.  Whenever you are brainstorming you want all the ideas,
   good or bad, or out in left field.  One of them might be the
   idea that helps someone come up with the BEST solution.

6. Identify the solutions that work for each party. Ifs important
   that the solution is agreeable to each party and the company.
   In order for the agreed upon solution to work and be successful,
   you need buy in.

7. Agree to do the solution.  The last step is the key to moving
   forward.

Some Common Pitfalls:

 * Don't take sides. As the manager your interest is the company,
   the resolution of the conflict and each employee.

 * Don't mandate a solution; you want the staff invested in the
   solution.

What Do You Do If Staffs Refuse To Participate In Conflict
Resolution?

Offering staffs the opportunity to resolve conflict is a much
better option than being disciplined, having supervisor mandated
solutions or taking no action at all.  When staffs refuse to
cooperate or participate, its time to talk with them about your
company policies, their personal responsibility for their
behavior and actions and your responsibility as the owner or
manager to take actions based on their behavior.  The intent of
this type of conversation isn't to threaten disciplinary action,
but to talk about the reality of the situation and the need to
resolve it. Each individual makes choices, as supervisors our
actions are based upon the behaviors and actions of the employee.
As the supervisor you are encouraging good choice making, but the
reality is that some people will make a poor choice and choose
to continue to act in ways that are not acceptable in your
workplace.  In these situations you must then follow your
organizations policies as outlined for your employees in the
employee handbook.  Resolving the conflict and creating a good
work environment for everyone is my first choice as the
manager/supervisor/owner.

Conflicts in the workplace can be successfully resolved, by
listening. Giving each person space to tell their story validates
them and communicates to them their value to you and the
organization.  Using the simple process outlined keeps you moving
in a positive direction.

Donna Price, President of Compass Rose Consulting, LLC, provides
business coaching to business owners/leaders, and work teams;
using her experience as a senior level manager for 18+ years and
extensive background working with people to achieve their goals.
The Business Builders Intensive, a comprehensive tele-seminar
series focused on building your business and your success is
her newest program.  http://www.businessbuildersintensive.com;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]; 973-948-7673

--- END ARTICLE ---

TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
(Last Updated:  April 7, 2005)

  The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

*** Digital Reprint Rights ***

  Hyperlinks (clickable links).

  within the article.

*** Author Notification ***

  or her work. Donna Price can be reached at:
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  for Print Permission at:
  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

free tool:  http://thephantomwriters.com/link-builder.pl