Free-Reprint Article Written by: Kalinda Rose Stevenson

What You Really Need To Retire

Article Description:
After reading many articles about retirement, I have come to
the conclusion that most of the financial advice addressed to
consumers is bad advice.

Distribution Date and Time: Wed Mar 22 22:16:42 EST 2006

Written By:     Kalinda Rose Stevenson

What You Really Need To Retire
Copyright © 2006 Kalinda Rose Stevenson
No Money Limits

After reading many articles about retirement, I have come to
the conclusion that most of the financial advice addressed to
consumers is bad advice. From the perspective of conventional
wisdom, the advice makes sense. The problem is that conventional
wisdom is not very wise because it is based on a limited
understanding of money.

The essence of much financial advice about retirement is that
people have not saved enough money. Experts warn that prices will
go up and up. You will probably need more for medical expenses
as you age. And worst of all, you might live 20-30 years after
retirement at age 65 and will probably outlive your money.

Retirement articles usually explain all the ways you can
calculate how much money you will need, what costs will go up and
what costs might go down. (They assume that you will pay off your
mortgage.)  They also assume that your own sources of money will
be retirement funds, pensions, and Social Security.

Every single one of these money fears is based on a single
assumption. After you retire from your job, you won't earn any
more money. This is one of the biggest money limitations

You must anticipate an uncertain future in which the money
available to you is limited by the amount of money you amassed
in your earning years.

A related assumption is that the amount of money you have
available to you in retirement also depends on the decisions of
other people. Other people will decide whether or not you still
have a pension, whether or not you still have Social Security
payments, the amount of interest you earn on your "safe" savings
accounts and CDs, and the returns on your mutual funds.

Such financial advice is based on fear. Your only security is to
amass as much money as you can while you are still earning an
income, and then use it very carefully before it is all gone. You
really can't depend on these other sources of additional income.
In other words, you are essentially powerless to increase your
wealth after you retire from your job.

There is another way to approach retirement planning based on a
different assumption. The fact that you retire from a job does
not mean that you retire from the capacity to make money. The
fundamental difference is that you continue to make money in
retirement and that you take an active role in creating new

Fundamentally, it comes down to the difference between earning
money and making money.

"Making money" is not the same as "earning money."  Making money
is a skill that very few of us ever learned as wage and salary
earners. When you "make money," you increase the amount of money
available by selling something at a profit, not because you get
more in your pension or Social Security or from the pitiful
interest that the bank might pay you on your savings or CDs.

We live in an entrepreneurial age. People who have businesses
understand that money is not only a commodity to be earned and
then used up. Money is also a product you can create.

There are so many ways that people retired from their jobs can
create more money. They can produce products, invest in real
estate, trade Forex currencies, trade in the stock market, write
books, do consulting and coaching, as well as a thousand other
methods to make money.

When you know the difference between making money and earning
money, you won't have to fear a future limited the amount of
money you already have in savings accounts, IRAs, and pensions.
And you don't have worry about outliving your money. It all comes
down to knowing how to create money. You will either face a
future of money limits or you will understand that you can
continue to make money during all of those wonderful 20-30 years
you live past your job.

Kalinda Rose Stevenson, Ph.D.
Author of "No Money Limits For Real Estate Investors:
Discover The Money-Making Secret In The Monopoly Game
That Will Turn Your Money Struggles Into Money Abundance"

  or her work. Kalinda Rose Stevenson can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Kalinda Rose Stevenson