Free-Reprint Article Written by: Kamau Austin

Maintain Good Bone Density

A guide to help you prevent and fight low bone density.

Distribution Date and Time: Tue Mar 28 01:38:34 EST 2006

Written By:     Kamau Austin
Copyright:      2006, All Rights Reserved

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/a/maintain-good-bone-density.shtml
Kamau Austin's Picture URL:
   http://www.searchengineplan.com/blogs/kamausmlx.jpg

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Kamau_Austin

Maintain Good Bone Density
Copyright © 2006 Kamau Austin, All Rights Reserved
DBA AdPro Media Sales
http://www.healthandfitnessvitality.com/

A guide to help you prevent and fight low bone density.

How important do you think it is to maintain a good bone density?
What should we know about our bone density? How can we maintain a
good bone density?

Do you know the answers to these questions? I used to be. My
confusion motivated me to find the answers. I hope what I found
will help clarify the issue of bone density for you too.

These are the facts:

~ A woman's bone density increases until she is between age
25 and 35. At that point, her bone density stalls and then begins
to decrease.

~ Women who are not able to increase their bone density by the
time they are young adults are at a higher risk of developing
bone problems.

~ Osteoporosis can be caused by insufficient calcium, vitamin D,
estrogen, moderate weight-bearing exercise, or excessive body
weight.

What are the consequences of decreased bone density?

This decrease in bone density can have severe consequences.

Stress fractures become more common in young women. These are
caused by repeated application of stress on bones that are unable
to cope with the demands placed on them.

In case of people suffering from osteoporosis, these fractures
can occur due to commonplace activities like jogging.

Osteoporosis is often not obvious in women until after nearly
forty years. But when it becomes obvious, the results are severe.
It can cause several changes in the skeletal structure and can
also severely hamper the woman's movements.

I was in my thirties when I decided to study more about
osteoporosis. This is what I found.

Osteoporosis is usually not totally reversible; therefore,
prevention is the best cure. Calcium and vitamin D supplements
are important and can contribute significantly to preventing the
development of osteoarthritis.

Once the disease has struck, treatment is aggressive.

There are several ways to prevent low bone density:

~ Exercise regularly, even if you do not exercise strenuously. A
regular walk is a good choice. Whatever physical activity you
undertake, you should repeat it for a minimum of 30 minutes three
to six times a week.

~ Take calcium and vitamin D. The National Institutes of Health
recommends that individuals between 9 and 18 consume 1300 mg of
calcium daily. Adults over 19 should consume 1000 mg of calcium.

Avoid smoking and drinking, and consume a minimum of caffeine.
All of these substances reduce the amount of calcium present in
our body.

The importance of diet cannot be overemphasized. It is important
to have a diet that helps increase bone density. Dairy products
and green leafy vegetables in particular offer significant
protection against osteoporosis.

Calcium is an important ally in the fight against osteoporosis.
Look for opportunities to consume calcium. Juices such as orange
juice are an excellent source of calcium.

And milk is rich in both calcium and vitamin D.  Calcium levels
can also be increased with supplements such as Osteozyne™.
Osteozyne™ aims to maximize bone health and combats bone loss at
any age.  Osteozyne™ can be found at http://www.BODeStore.com

Reference:
http://www.gannett.cornell.edu/healthAtoZ/healthAdvice/osteoporosis.html

Kamau Austin is a health and fitness enthusiast and advocate.
He writes on a regular basis on timeless health and fitness
tips at the Fit After Forty Blog. See more useful health and
fitness news and tips at...
http://www.healthandfitnessvitality.com/blogs/fitnessblog.htm

This Article must be published with a disclaimer as such...
This article is for general information purposes only. Before
under taking any exercise or treatment program always first
check first with your doctor and health professionals.

  or her work. Kamau Austin can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Kamau Austin
http://www.healthandfitnessvitality.com/