Free-Reprint Article Written by: Kristy Taylor

Please Sir, I Want Some More ... Public Domain Material

Article Description:
As a business owner looking to add new products to your
inventory, whether that be online or offline, you can't go past
public domain material. At a cost of 'nearly free,' you would be
mad to give it a miss.

Distribution Date and Time: Tue Mar 28 06:53:22 EST 2006

Written By:     Kristy Taylor

Please Sir, I Want Some More ... Public Domain Material
Copyright © 2006 Kristy Taylor
Digital Dollars Biz

Charles Dickens is said to be the world's most prolific novelist,
yet most of his works are relatively unknown to the general
public, especially those he wrote under the pen name Boz. His
most popular titles, Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, A Tale of
Two Cities, Great Expectations, have been retold countless times
in books, scripts, theatre plays and movies, and are all now in
the public domain. These works have been so popular that they
have been re-published by so many different publishers that they
have never been out of print.

As a business owner looking to add new products to your
inventory, whether that be online or offline, you can't go past
public domain material. At a cost of 'nearly free,' you would be
mad to give it a miss.

As with the above example, some stories are timeless classics,
classics that will sell year after year, in many different
formats and versions. This may be exactly the right type of
product for your business. There are so many public domain works
out there that you essentially will never run out of material to
publish. And you will most likely find many manuscripts that will
complement your existing products.

A good rule of thumb to follow is to check that the original
manuscript was published before 1923 in the United States of
America (other countries may have different copyright laws so you
may need to check this with a copyright lawyer). You should
always get a certificate of copyright clearance for each public
domain document you are going to publish. This may save you many
legal hassles later if anyone tries to dispute your right to re-
publish the work.

Public domain books and other materials can be found in many
places, with the most likely being second-hand book stores. Some
people enjoy this process the most; discovering that hidden gem
amongst the thousands of tattered old Mills and Boon romance

Though, with the advent of the Internet this process is becoming
increasingly more accessible to everyone. There are now many web
sites that publish public domain material that can be freely
accessed, and even some membership sites that actually find the
material for you.

If you make substantial changes to the material, that is, make
enough changes that make the new version unrecognisable from the
original, you may even claim the new copyright with yourself as
the author.

As Dickens made popular the serialised novel, so too can you be
publishing serial after serial of public domain material.

Kristy Taylor is a syndicated freelance journalist with articles
strewn across all forms of media. She has written and published
numerous books, and is the executive editor of KT Publishing,
which encompasses several web sites. Click here for her public
domain story -

  or her work. Kristy Taylor can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Kristy Taylor