Free-Reprint Article Written by: Wesley Berry

Actress Jessica Alba Born In The Month Of The Daisy

Actress Jessica Alba was born April 28, 1981, during the month of
the daisy-a flower with considerable meaning and history that is
steeped in legend. It is traditionally a symbol of childhood
innocence, purity, and gentleness.

Distribution Date and Time: Fri Mar 31 00:47:31 EST 2006

Written By:     Wesley Berry

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/b/jessica-albas-birth-flower.shtml

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Wesley_Berry

Actress Jessica Alba Born In The Month Of The Daisy
Copyright © 2006 Wesley Berry
Wesley Berry Flowers
http://www.800wesleys.com

Actress Jessica Alba was born April 28, 1981, during the month of
the daisy-a flower with considerable meaning and history that is
steeped in legend. It is traditionally a symbol of childhood
innocence, purity, and gentleness.

The term daisy has an Anglo-Saxon origin. It comes from the word
"daes eage," which means "day's eye." This name was probably
chosen because the daisy opens at sunrise and closes at sunset.
The flower is at least 4,000 years old. Replications of the
flower adorned golden hairpins found in the ruins of a Minoan
palace located on the Island of Crete. The flower also appeared
as decorations on Egyptian ceramics. Over the years, many legends
and beliefs have formed around this beautiful, yet simple,
flower.

One Roman legend holds that the flower came into existence when
the nymph Belides drew the unwanted attention of Vertumnus, the
god of orchards, while cavorting with other nymphs. To get away
from the smitten god, Belides changed herself into a daisy.

In Victorian times, the daisy was a symbol of love and was used
in traditions performed by young maidens. When a maid was turned
away by her love, she would pick a daisy and pull the petals from
it one at a time while saying, "He loves me, he loves me not."
When she pulled the last petal, the phrase she was on would
determine if the young man really still loved her. Another
tradition had Victorian maids closing their eyes while plucking
a handful of daisies from a field. The number of blossoms she
pulled determined how many years she'd have to wait until she
married.

Daisies were thought to have other predictive abilities as well.
Farmers believed that spring hadn't truly arrived until they
could set one foot upon twelve daisies. It was also thought that
if one dreamed of daisies during the spring or summer, good
fortune was sure to come. However, if daisies were dreamed of
in the winter or fall, the dreamer would experience bad luck.

Many people also believed the daisy had medical properties King
Henry the VIII ate them to cure ulcers. Some people drank crushed
daisies soaked in wine to cure insanity. Others used them to cure
eye ailments. Still others used crushed daisies mixed with oil to
banish gray hairs.

Purity, love, predictions, and a cure-daisies have done it all.
They've enjoyed a long history and remain popular today. They're
a versatile flower that is often used in floral arrangements
and as a landscaping element. Jessica Alba can only hope her
popularity remains for as long as her birth flower and that she
shows herself to be as versatile as well.

Wesley Berry is the President of Wesley Berry Flowers,
a successful multi-million dollar business that was
established in 1946. He is also the Headmaster of the
Professional Florists' Institute, a floral design school
located in Michigan. Visit Wesley Berry Flowers on the
web at http://www.800wesleys.com.

  or her work. Wesley Berry can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Wesley Berry
http://www.800wesleys.com