Free-Reprint Article Written by: Craig Chambers

Rawhide Lamp Shades - Measuring & Ordering

Article Description:
The right rawhide lamp shade can make a perfect lamp. But the
wrong size shade can make a beautiful lamp look out of balance.

Distribution Date and Time: Thu Apr  6 03:39:35 EDT 2006

Written By:     Craig Chambers

Rawhide Lamp Shades - Measuring & Ordering
Copyright © 2006 Craig Chambers
Mission Del Rey

The right rawhide lamp shade can make a perfect lamp. But the
wrong size shade can make a beautiful lamp look out of balance.
And ordering the wrong size lampshade is inconvenient and
expensive.  See how we choose the right shade for your lamp
without seeing them together.

Mission Del Rey offers rawhide lamp shades for southwestern
lighting and western lamps but the technique our buyers use will
work with any lamp shade. Give it a try to help choose the right
shade for your lamp even before you order. Follow this simple
procedure and you will make the right choice the first time when
taking advantage of great deals on the internet or when catalog

First, we need to understand how rawhide lampshades are measured.
You will need three measurements, bottom diameter, top diameter
and height. The height of a shade should be measured straight up
and down vertically…not along the slant as some people do.

Measuring Tip #1: The reason we measure height up and down,
"vertically" is that the height measurement of you lamp from
bulb socket base to top of harp is probably the minimum vertical
height you will want to cover with your shade. For example:  The
slant may be 9" but the actual height only 6" which would leave
3" your brass bulb socket exposed if you really need 9" inches in
vertical height.

Measuring Tip #2: The height of your lamp can be adjusted with a
shorter or taller harp to be able to use a standard lampshade
rather than ordering a custom shade in many cases.  For example:
Using a shorter harp lowers the shade on the lamp allowing you to
use a shorter shade, while using a taller harp raises a taller
shade on the lamp.

Now, here is the trick to ordering the right shade. You probably
have an idea of the approximate size, so simply consult our list
of standard rawhide lamp shade sizes or any shade outlet.  Select
the shade size that you are considering. Each lampshade's
measurements should be listed as described above.

Next, make a simple two-dimensional "flat" pattern the size of
the shade out of paper or cardboard. For example, use the lower
edge of the cardboard for the base line. Measure up the height
of the shade and draw a horizontal line parallel to the base
line which will represent the top edge of the shade. Now draw a
vertical line straight up and down from base line or to the top
edge line. If you imagine the base line, vertical line and top
edge line as the capital letter "I" you are on the right track.

Then, mark the top and bottom dimensions of the shade on your
pattern so that you get the correct slant for the edge of the
shade. From the center line measure and mark the top diameter of
the shade. If the top diameter is 5" then measure to the left and
right of the center line along the top edge line 2.5" on both
sides and make a mark. Those points are the top corners of your
pattern. Repeat along the baseline using the shade's bottom
diameter. If it seems confusing, it's really not, but very simple
and quick. Consult the lamp shade measuring instruction and
diagram on our website if you need help.

Finally, If you will cut out the pattern and have someone hold it
in place over the lamp, you will be able to step back and look.
Even though it is flat, you will be able to get a feel for how
the shade will look on your lamp and order with confidence.

It's not full proof but it is a quick and easy way to make sure
that you are on the right track in your shade size selection.
This simple idea has helped our rawhide shade clients save a lot
of aggravation and money over the years and we trust it will
benefit you too.

Craig Chambers is the President of Mission Del Rey, an Arizona
non profit organization preserving the culture of the Tarahumara
Indians through traditional skills, offering hand laced rawhide
lamp shades and rustic lamps for southwestern lighting, western
lamps and décor. More information is available at

  or her work. Craig Chambers can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Craig Chambers