Free-Reprint Article Written by: Kalinda Rose Stevenson

Collecting Abundance In A Bucket

Article Description:
I listened to a recording recently of two men having a conversation
about the nature of abundance. In their conversation, the dominant
metaphor for abundance was water.

Distribution Date and Time: Fri Apr  7 02:35:44 EDT 2006

Written By:     Kalinda Rose Stevenson

Collecting Abundance In A Bucket
Copyright © 2006 Kalinda Rose Stevenson
No Money Limits

"Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the
capacity to receive it." --- Rabindranath Tagore

        I listened to a recording recently of two men having
a conversation about the nature of abundance. In their
conversation, the dominant metaphor for abundance was water.
They said that we are like fish swimming in the ocean, not
recognizing that we are immersed in abundance all the time.

        As metaphors go, this is an intriguing insight into the
nature of abundance. I have no idea of the consciousness level of
a fish, but I imagine that fish don't analyze their surroundings
much. They live in water, but have no consciousness that they
are swimming in water. And this is the point of the metaphor.
We live in an abundant world, but don't see abundance because
it is the medium of our lives.

        But there is a missing piece to the metaphor. The
missing piece turns scarcity into real abundance in our lives.
The missing piece involves a bucket.

        Instead of the thinking of yourself as a fish swimming in
the ocean, think of yourself in a rainstorm.  Rain is on my mind
these days. I am writing this in the middle of a heavy rainstorm.
The jet stream from Alaska has dipped down farther south than
usual, bringing rain and rain and more rain. The San Francisco
Bay Area just broke the record for the number of rainy days in
March. So far in April, it has rained every day. Forecasters
predict the rain will continue for the next two weeks.

        And so with rain on my mind, I ask:  How is it that
you can live in an abundant universe and not increase your own
abundance?  The answer is simple. You aren't holding out your

        If you want to collect rain water, you don't just stand
in the stuff. You do something to collect the water. You take
along a bucket. You set up a cistern. You use water tanks. You
dig reservoirs. Otherwise, the water rolls off you as water
rolls off a duck.

"The world is full of abundance and opportunity, but far too many
people come to the fountain of life with a sieve instead of a
tank car... a teaspoon instead of a steam shovel. They expect
little and as a result they get little." --- Ben Sweetland

        And this is what sets apart those who live in abundance
and those who live with lack. Those who live in abundance do
something to collect the water. They take a bucket with them.
They build cisterns, water tanks, and reservoirs. Those who
live with lack just stand in the rain and get wet.

"It is more blessed to give than to receive." --- Acts 20:35

        In other words, the ones who live in abundance know how
to receive. Those who live in lack don't.

        One of the real reasons so many of us struggle with
lack in our lives is that we internalized the words, "It is more
blessed to give than receive."  This Bible verse, taken out of
context, sets up a value judgment: Giving is better than

        I'm not going to do the critical work involved in telling
you what the Greek words mean, or putting in these words in their
biblical context. Let's just look at the words themselves and
ask what is wrong with this kind of universalizing statement.

"If you want greater prosperity in your life, start forming a
vacuum to receive it." --- Catherine Ponder

        Consider breathing. You breathe in and you breathe out.
Somehow, we all got the idea that it is okay to receive when we
breathe. What if you decide that it is better to breathe out
than to breathe in? You can't live very long before you realize
that breathing is a cycle. If you want to continue to live, you
need to receive air into your lungs as much as you need to
breathe it out.

        Even the rain itself is a cycle. The rain falls on Earth,
runs into the creeks and rivers, flows back into the ocean, gets
picked up into clouds and falls on Earth again. Breath and rain
are part of life's cycles of giving and receiving. But when it
comes to Bible verses, this awareness of the cyclical nature of
life often gets replaced by categories straight out of Greek

        The ancient Greeks, especially Aristotle, divided reality
into opposing pairs, and then attached value judgments that one
element of each pair was better than the other. So "reason is
better is than emotion." "Male is more human than female." "A
free man is a more moral being than a slave," and on and on.

        Christian theology picked up many of these same
value-laden dichotomies, and imposed them on biblical statements
and stories. As a result, many Christian people learned to think
in dual categories, with value judgments attached. One example
is that Christian theology has taken this one verse: "It more
blessed to give than to receive," and turned it into a one-sided
rule for life.

        From this simplistic notion, many of us learned that
giving is better than receiving.  The obvious question is: How
can you give what you don't have?  And if you give all you have,
how can you give any more?  To give, you have to have something
to give. And to have something you have to receive it first.

"Asking is the beginning of receiving. Make sure you don't go
to the ocean with a teaspoon. At least take a bucket so the kids
won't laugh at you." --- Jim Rohn

        Giving and receiving together are part of the cycle
called abundance. Abundance is a dance, involving give and
take, back and forth, ebb and flow.

        And so, if you are wondering how to create abundance in
your life, claim the metaphor of rain as abundance. If you are
standing in the rain, hold out your bucket.

Kalinda Rose Stevenson, Ph.D.
FREE Ebook "Do You Know The Money-Making
Secret In The Monopoly Game?"

  or her work. Kalinda Rose Stevenson can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Kalinda Rose Stevenson