Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt

A Do-It-Yourself Guide To Publishing Ezines or Online Newsletters

All of the rich-and-famous internet business guru's tell you
that "the money is in the list." This guide will help you to
strategize, plan and execute a profitable online newsletter.

Distribution Date and Time: Tue Apr 18 11:05:37 EDT 2006

Written By:     Bill Platt

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/p/diy-ezine-publishing.shtml
Bill Platt's Picture URL:
   http://thephantomwriters.com/x-images/bill_platt_80x105b.jpg

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Bill_Platt

A Do-It-Yourself Guide To Publishing Ezines or Online Newsletters
Copyright © 2006 Bill Platt
thePhantomWriters
http://thePhantomWriters.com

All of the rich-and-famous internet business guru's tell you
that "the money is in the list."

Of course, when people talk about "the list", they are talking
about your list of email addresses of people who have opted-in
to receive mailings from you. In some cases, people have simply
opted-in to receive advertising from you. In most cases, people
have opted-in to receive a daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly
online newsletter from you.

The reason why "the list" is so important to your goals of
profit, is because most people will not buy from someone until
they have "heard of that person" or "heard from that person"
seven times. This is the "Marketing Golden Rule of Seven".

What it boils down to is that people only buy from businesses
they trust. And in most cases, it is nearly impossible to build
that trust, except through repetition. Through repeat contact
with a potential customer, a business can build a significant
level of trust with their subscriber base.

This is why it is so important for an online business owner to
contemplate publishing an ezine. Even if you don't yet have a
live ezine, you should still put the systems in place to build
your "list". You can always start publishing an ezine at some
future date. So, it would be better to have your list started
when you are ready to put out that first issue of your ezine.

Designing a Winning Ezine Formula

When designing your ezine, there are several factors you should
consider. All of these factors could affect the profitability of
your ezine publishing venture.

Are You Going To Publish Your Ezine In HTML or Text Format?

Both formats have their advantages and disadvantages. The biggest
advantage to the HTML format is that you can make your ezine
visually appealing through the use of HTML. The biggest
disadvantage is that a lot of people still do not have the
mailing software that will allow them to view your ezine in the
same way that you designed it. In the past, a number of people
did not even have access to email software that would allow them
to view HTML email at all. This is the reason why so many ezines
got started in the Text format to begin with, and they have just
never changed.

The advantages on the Text format is the general feeling that
everyone who receives it will be able to read it. And, for
constructing a new issue, it is pretty painless to put everything
together. The disadvantage is that plain text is not nearly as
attractive as HTML formatting.

How Frequently Are You Going To Publish?

Ezine publishers are sending their ezines anywhere from once
a quarter to five days per week.

For a lot of people, this is a really big decision.

When I was publishing my ezines, I would mail once every two
weeks. It felt as if it were not too much, and it were not too
little. That is always the balance you will have to seek.

You want to be frequent enough that people will pay attention
to your mailings. But, you must be careful not to go out too
frequently in terms of both your subscribers AND yourself.

Some people don't have the time to read daily newsletters. You
must consider their needs too. You want to go out as frequently
as possible, without seeming too pushy.

The other side is according to your own schedule. For the longest
time, I felt that once every two weeks was not quite enough...
But then my business took off big. All of a sudden, my business
was steaming so fast and furious that I did not have the time to
publish. I had to take care of my paying customers first and
foremost.

Your Layout Is Important

Your ezine layout should be visually-friendly and easy-to-read.

There are two baic layout rules to follow.

First, you should use lots of white space between paragraphs and
sections to reduce reader's eye-strain. If your ezine strains
your reader's vision, your readers may quit reading, no matter
how good your content might be.

Second, you should use dividers between primary sections so that
people who like to scan can jump to what they are most interested
in reading.

Consistency

This next rule applies to both HTML and Text formatted ezines.
You should establish a set format for how your ezine will appear
to readers, and you should follow that basic template with every
issue. Having a basic template allows your readers to learn what
sections of your ezine they are most interested in reading, then
they can jump right to that section on cue.

Choosing a Topic

It is often best to examine the people who are the people who
are most likely to buy your products or services. What are they
interested in?

If you offer webhosting services, you should discuss in your
ezine things that are important to webmasters.

If you sell pet accessories, then you should talk about all
things dog and cat.

If you sell vitamins, you should talk about good health.

See how easy this is?

A Personal Touch

Every issue of your ezine should carry a personal touch of you
within it, unless you are a big corporation. Many people don't
fancy themselves great writers, so they turn to others for the
primary content in their ezine. We will look at that next.

The personal touch that I speak of could be as simple as a
one-paragraph introduction to each issue. For that matter, tell
people about the latest antics of your dog. The important point
is to let your readers see a bit of you in every issue, enabling
your reader to feel that they know you one-on-one. That can be a
huge trust builder for you.

Locating Great Content

There is a type of content available referred to as Free Reprint
Articles. What this means is that you are free to use the
available articles without monetary cost, so long as you agree
to follow all other Terms of Use that accompany the article.

In most cases, the most frequent term that writers are concerned
with is that you use their About The Author information without
change, and you hyperlink any URL's pointing to their websites.
The writer is willing to allow you to use his or her content,
provided you are willing to allow him or her to advertise in
your ezine through the About The Author information.

Websites Where You Can Search For Content

There are actually many sources you can go to to find reprint
articles. Here is a few websites where you can go to search for
reprint articles:

http://www.EzineArticles.com
http://www.IdeaMarketers.com
http://www.Isnare.com
http://www.SubmitYourArticle.com/articles/
http://content.thePhantomWriters.com

Mailing Lists That Will Send You Targetted Content

If you would prefer articles to be mailed to you on subjects that
you are most interested in, there are several resources for that
too. As far as mailing lists go, there are four primary networks
that serve the vast majority of article submissions.

All but one of the large article distribution networks are