Free-Reprint Article Written by: Kathy Castillo

Maintaining Good Bone Density

As we age, bone density becomes more and more important,
especially for pre- and post-menopausal women. Poor bone density
can lead to diseases such as osteoporosis and bone cancer. It is
important to start thinking about bone density early.

Distribution Date and Time: Fri Apr 21 10:23:35 EDT 2006

Written By:     Kathy Castillo
Copyright:      2006, All Rights Reserved

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/c/maintaining-good-bone-density.shtml

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Kathy_Castillo

Maintaining Good Bone Density
Copyright © 2006 Kathy Castillo, All Rights Reserved
DBA AdPro Media Sales
http://www.healthandfitnessvitality.com/

As we age, bone density becomes more and more important,
especially for pre- and post-menopausal women. Poor bone density
can lead to diseases such as osteoporosis and bone cancer. It is
important to start thinking about bone density early.

Osteoporosis is an insidious condition that drains away bone—the
hardest, most durable substance in the body. It happens slowly,
over years, so that often neither doctor nor patient is aware of
weakening bones until one snaps unexpectedly.

Did you know that declining bone mass is a problem widely
experienced by older women? Bone mass peaks at the age of 35 and
then starts declining as estrogen levels go down. By the age of
65 or 75, women easily break bones in falls that would hardly
have bruised them a large bruise at 30.

Older individuals who have poor bone density are at a higher risk
for hip and other bone fractures, loss of mobility, humping of
the spine and other relate bone injuries and illnesses. This
leads to loss of independence, permanent disability and even
death. As we get older, bone density is increasingly important.
You should have a bone density test at least once a year after
the age of 50.

Osteoporosis leads to 1.5 million fractures or breaks annually,
mostly in the hip, spine and wrist and the cost of treatment is
estimated at $17 billion and rising, according to the National
Institutes of Health (NIH). Osteoporosis threatens 34 million
Americans. While it affects older women, older men get it too.
One in 2 women and 1 in 4 men age 50 or older will suffer a
vertebral fracture, according to the NIH. These numbers are
predicted to rise as the population ages.

There are many factors that affect bone density and bone
strength:

1.)Genetics - some ethnic groups may have stronger bones

2.)Sex - men tend to have a greater bone mass than women

3.)Diet - calcium and vitamin D, in particular, are important
   for building and maintaining strong bones

4.)Physical activity - regular exercise is important for
   strong bones

5.)Body weight - heavier people have stronger bones

6.)Hormones - irregular or loss of menstrual periods can cause
   bone loss

So, according to these factors, it is evident that different
people will lose bone density in different ways and at different
times in their lives. Regardless, it is important to consider
your bones and their health early in life so that you can prevent
bone-related diseases and illnesses.

There is no cure or proven preventive treatment for osteoporosis
and other bone density diseases, but their onset can be delayed
and their severity diminished. Most importantly, early
intervention can prevent devastating fractures. There are also
some foods and supplements that promote healthy bone density.
High calcium foods such as milk and cheese and other foods such
as broccoli, canned sardines, yogurt and juices promote healthy
bones.

If you want to try a supplement to promote bone density, you
should consider Osteozyne(tm). Osteozyne(tm) can be found at
http://www.bodestore.com and through Amazon. Osteozyne(tm) offers
an extensive list of ingredients formulated to maximize bone
health and combat bone loss at any age.

It is never too early to start thinking about your bones and their
future. You should start taking care of them today, so that you
will not have to suffer bone density illnesses and diseases such
as osteoporosis, frequent breaks or fractures or cancer later in
life.

Kathy Castillo is a health and fitness enthusiast and
advocate. She writes on a regular basis on timeless
health and fitness tips at the Fit After Forty Blog.
See more useful health and fitness news and tips at:
http://www.healthandfitnessvitality.com/blogs/fitnessblog.htm
Copyright 2006 AdPro Media Sales, All Rights Reserved
courtesy Kamau Austin.

This Article must be published with a disclaimer as such...
This article is for general information purposes only. Before
under taking any exercise or treatment program always first
check first with your doctor and health professionals.

  or her work. Kathy Castillo can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Kathy Castillo
http://www.healthandfitnessvitality.com/