Free-Reprint Article Written by: Julie Lohmeier

22 Key Measurements for Decorating and Remodeling Your House

Inevitably as you are planning a home or room remodeling project,
you ask yourself if you have enough room, what size should this
be, how should that be, how big should the chandelier be. Be
puzzle no more. Keep this list as a handy reference for 22 key
measurements when decorating or remodeling your house:

Distribution Date and Time: Fri Apr 28 00:50:57 EDT 2006

Written By:     Julie Lohmeier

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/l/key-measurements-for-home-remodeling.shtml

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Julie_Lohmeier

22 Key Measurements for Decorating and Remodeling Your House
Copyright © 2006 Julie Lohmeier
My Home Redux
http://www.myhomeredux.com/

Inevitably as you are planning a home or room remodeling project,
you ask yourself if you have enough room, what size should this
be, how should that be, how big should the chandelier be. Be
puzzle no more. Keep this list as a handy reference for 22 key
measurements when decorating or remodeling your house:

1) Dining Room Chandelier Installation Height:  30" above the
   table for a 8' tall ceiling, 34" above the table if the
   ceiling is higher than 8'.

2) Dining Room Chandelier Width: 12" less than the narrowest
   side (width typically) of a rectangle or oval table, 18" less
   than the diameter of a square or round table.

3) Dining Room Chandelier Fixture Height:  3" per foot of ceiling
   height or 24" for a 8' ceiling.

4) Foyer Chandelier Fixture Height: 3" per foot of ceiling height
   with 30" maximum

5) Foyer Chandelier Installation Height:  About 1/3 down from
   ceiling to base of fixture so that light disperses evenly in
   foyer. So for a 20' foyer, the base of the chandelier should
   be 6-7' below the ceiling.

6) Foyer Chandelier Width:  1" per foot of ceiling width
   measured diagonally. A 12'x12' foyer would require an 18" wide
   chandelier.

7) Wall Pictures or Hangings:  At "eye level".  That's a pretty
   wide range but typically around 65" off the floor. Check the
   look by pinning a properly sized piece of paper on the wall
   with straight pins. Once correct, mark for the hanging
   hardware. Using 2 hooks is recommended to hang and keep a
   picture straight - assuming of course that your hooks are
   level!

8) Valance Height:  No less than 1/4 and no more than 1/3 of
   your window height.  That's why most pre-made valances are
   15-18" because the majority of standard windows are anywhere
   from 45-72" tall.  Personally, I prefer them closer to the
   1/3 mark for a fuller, richer feel.

9) Kitchen cabinet height:  34-1/2" tall off the floor.

10) Kitchen cabinet wall installation height:  18" off the
    counter top or 54" above the floor.

11) Kitchen base (floor) cabinet width:  24"

12) Kitchen wall cabinet width: 12"

13) Kitchen countertop space by sink:  18-30" on one side and
    48-54" on the other.

14) Kitchen countertop space by range: 12" minimum on one side
    and 15-24" on the other.

15) Microwave and built in oven countertop space: 15-18" on the
    right side assuming a left hinged door.

16) Dishwasher front space: 20" from the open dishwasher door to
    any obstruction or traffic.

17) Table:  36" between table and any traffic area or obstruction
    in order to have plenty of space to move chairs in and out.

18) Island and Breakfast Bar height: Standard cabinet height
    (34-1/2") for standard work area, 30" for table style
    seating, 42" for stool height.

19) Countertop height:  1 to 1-1/2" standard.

20) Bathroom cabinet depth: 18-20"

21) Bathroom cabinet height:  Standard is 29" so with the
    countertop it's like a table, but this is quite short for
    adults to use a sink.  Some manufacturers are now making
    bathroom vanities at 32-33" tall.  I used a compromise
    for our kids at about 31" plus the countertop.

22) Master bathroom cabinet height:  While standard height is
    still 29", I'd recommend using something taller like a
    kitchen cabinet height of 34-35".  However, you will not
    be able to use a standard bathroom countertop if you use
    a kitchen cabinet base as the widths are different (24" for
    a kitchen, 18" for a bath). You'll either need to get a
    custom countertop or a custom cabinet.

These measurements are important to know when designing and
laying out a project or when hanging new light fixtures. Be
sure to design enough space and to pick the correctly sized
accessories to fit and provide balance to your room.  It's too
late once the kitchen is built and the island is in to realize
that you can't open your dishwasher all the way. Measure first
and use this as a handy guide! Good luck.

Julie Lohmeier is the veteran of numerous home remodeling and
building projects.  From working hands on and doing much of the
work herself to hiring contractors and construction managers,
she has seen the entire spectrum of home improvement.  She
shares her remodeling tips, home decorating ideas, and other
various rants at http://www.myhomeredux.com.  Sign up for her
free email newsletter at:
http://myhomeredux.typepad.com/blog/2005/09/get_my_home_red_2.html

Copyright © 2006, Julie Lohmeier, http://www.myhomeredux.com

  or her work. Julie Lohmeier can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Julie Lohmeier
http://www.myhomeredux.com/