Free-Reprint Article Written by: Wesley Berry

Pay Tribute With Flowers On Memorial Day

The tradition of decorating the graves of fallen soldiers has
been in existence since the time of the Civil War. Such honoring
of the dead inspired a day of remembrance that we call Memorial
Day, which extends our appreciation and admiration to all
soldiers who died in the service of their country since the
time of the Civil War.

Distribution Date and Time: Fri Apr 28 13:00:53 EDT 2006

Written By:     Wesley Berry

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/b/history-of-memorial-day.shtml

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Wesley_Berry

Pay Tribute With Flowers On Memorial Day
Copyright © 2006 Wesley Berry
Wesley Berry Flowers
http://www.800wesleys.com/

The tradition of decorating the graves of fallen soldiers has
been in existence since the time of the Civil War. Historical
evidence shows that women living in the South honored soldiers
by placing some sort of decorative items on their graves, as is
indicated by the 1867 hymn by Nella L. Sweet titled "Kneel Where
Our Loves are Sleeping" and is dedicated "to the ladies of the
South who are decorating the graves of the Confederate dead."
Though it's not clear what the decorations were, we can
reasonably assume they placed flowers on the grave as we do
today. Such honoring of the dead inspired a day of remembrance
that we call Memorial Day, which extends our appreciation and
admiration to all soldiers who died in the service of their
country since the time of the Civil War.

Memorial Day is often a busy day for florists because so many
people recognize the tribute that a beautiful bouquet or
arrangement of flowers pays to those who have passed in times of
war. When you plan to order flowers for a loved one's grave, it's
a good idea to call a few weeks in advance to place the order.
This will ensure that your florist will have the amount and types
of flowers you'd like to include on hand. You'll need to indicate
that the flowers are for placement in a cemetery and that they
are for Memorial Day. Your florist will be able to create an
appropriate arrangement that can be easily placed on a grave and
withstand outdoor conditions for a reasonable amount of time.

Memorial Day arrangements often use flowers that are red, white,
and blue to commemorate the service the person has given to our
country. Carnations are a popular choice because they are long
lasting and available in the proper colors. However, your
Memorial Day flowers don't have to be limited to red, white, and
blue or to the common graveside wreath. You can order the fallen
soldier's favorite flower and simply tuck in a small flag to
signify the arrangement is for Memorial Day. Or, you can order a
beautiful bouquet of spring flowers and ask that they be bound
with ribbons in our country's colors. Your florist may even carry
ribbons with special script on them for Memorial Day.

If you're hesitant to place fresh flowers on the grave because
you won't be available to remove them when they fade, ask your
florist to create a silk arrangement. Although florists work
chiefly with fresh flowers, many create beautiful artificial
flower arrangements as well. Using artificial flowers will allow
the arrangement to remain beautiful until you or someone else can
return to retrieve them.

Wesley Berry is the President of Wesley Berry Flowers,
a successful multi-million dollar business that was
established in 1946. He is also the Headmaster of the
Professional Florists' Institute, a floral design school
located in Michigan. Visit Wesley Berry Flowers on the
web at http://www.800wesleys.com

  or her work. Wesley Berry can be reached at:

and opinion of its author, Wesley Berry
http://www.800wesleys.com/