publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.  Please do not
make changes without permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Foam Stamped Light Switch and Outlet Plate Covers
by Monica Resinger

We remodeled our bathroom a couple years ago and when it was time to choose
our switch plate covers, we were overwhelmed with the variety and prices of
them. We wanted out-of-the-ordinary light switch covers but didn't want to pay
the price -- and besides, we couldn't find any that matched our decor out of
that variety!

So what we did was purchase plain, unfinished wood, switch and outlet covers
and I painted them to match our decor. We did our bathroom decor in jewel tone
colors with brass accents so I decided to paint the light switch covers in
dark blue with gold stars. We love the `custom homemade' look of the covers and
it was very easy to accomplish. Below you'll find step-by-step instructions
for how to do this.

Before beginning this project, decide on the color and design of your covers.
Try to include colors and design elements that are already in the room then
go purchase your materials.

unfinished wood light switch and outlet plate covers
acrylic paint in your choice of colors
small foam stamps of your choice
spray clear acrylic (optional)

The covers can be found in do-it-yourself stores, while the remainder of
items can be found in craft stores or craft sections in retail stores.

Prepare a work surface by laying newspaper down on a large area then...

1. Base coat the cover with the color of your choice. You will probably need
at least a second coat, maybe a third. Let each coat dry before applying the

2. Stamp on your design. First, plan your design, then practice stamping. To
do this, using a small paintbrush, paint the acrylic paint onto the stamp then
press onto paper firmly but being careful not to turn it to get a smudge.
Once you are comfortable with the feel of it, then go ahead and stamp your
onto the base-painted switch cover.

3. If desired spray with clear acrylic for protection and easy cleaning. This
is best done outside on a piece of cardboard or newspaper. Let dry then put
the covers on as usual (a good job for hubby).

There are many other ways you can decorate these; sponge paint them, paint on
free-hand designs, decoupage or whatever else may inspire you. This is just
one idea to get your imagination going. Have fun with it.

Get Monica's FREE weekly e-zine for homemakers!  Each issue includes a home &
garden article, delicious recipes and more! To subscribe, just send a blank
e-mail to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Check out the 56 home, garden and recipe e-books full of reader tips that
have been published here: