Article Title: Love to Hate to Love the Questions
Author Name: Julie Jordan Scott
Contact Email Address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Word Count: 702
Category: Personal Development
Copyright Date: 2006
Publishing Guidelines: Thank you for publishing this article in its
entirety including the resource box. When possible, please notify me
of publication by sending either a website link or a copy of your
ezine upon publication via email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  THANKS!

Love to Hate to Love the Questions
© 2006
Julie Jordan Scott

I have an odd love-hate relationship with questions. I find
myself getting frustrated by people who seem addicted
to asking questions. question after question after question
and then they just hop scotch across the surface of any
semblance of an answer.

"Stop asking!" I want to shout, "Please, take some
time in responding!"

I was a bit surprised, then, with my own response to an
exercise a book I had read several years ago and started
revisiting about a month ago.

I don't remember even reading about this particular exercise.
Michael Gelb's  "How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci" was
an instant favorite of mine, but somehow the "List 100
Questions" flew from my consciousness before it had time
to build a nest of awareness.

Today, in my 2006 experience of the same book,
this section is golden.

Absolutely golden.

I am a rebel, though, and didn't do exactly like author
Michael Gelb said. I didn't only ask "significant"
questions - I asked whatever popped into my brain.
So - if oddities popped in, I kept them - figuring
they were pointing to something perhaps even more
divinely or universally significant than a
"significant" question.

My inquiries range from the silly to the sublime
with examples such as these:

"What is it about the rain in Spain that makes
the plain so significant?" to   "Who will say my
eulogy?" to "What will God say when we hug?"
to "What is my next big thing?"

In cataloguing these questions and then purposefully
holding them close to me without immediately rushing
to find "the" answer, instead I am finding both
incredible peace AND the responses to the questions
came throughout October, without effort, without
asking, without chasing the questions to find
"the" answer.

I am reminded of the wisdom of Rainer Rilke
when he wrote "Be patient toward all that is
unsolved in your heart and try to love the
questions themselves. Live the questions now.
Perhaps you will find them gradually, without
noticing it, live along some distant day
into the answer."

What I have done with my questions this
time is quite compelling.

I added a form of spiritual practice with my
questions. Each week I am gleaning ten questions
for my focus. For that week, I am asking the
questions - all then of them - throughout my day.

On some days, I will write a separate question on
a page within my morning pages notebook and
free-write in response to the question.

I ask the questions and then, I live.

I ask the questions and then I go about doing whatever
I was doing before I asked them.

It is like seasoning my life with inquiry and then
allowing my life to slowly unfold the answers without
attachment, without "answering them right", without
getting stuck in the process of response.

I am, in fact, loving the questions.  It is like building a
relationship with them, over time, instead of having a
rough-and-tumble quicky with them.

Part of the gloriousness is seeing the Divine respond in
the space I have provided, the space that was there all
along but that sometimes my ego likes to clog with
"how-to's" and "you can'ts" and "who do you think
you are's?"

Here are three simple steps to discover how you
 can take this concept and bring it into fruition.

1. Create a list of 100 Questions you would find
interesting to live, to play with, to respond to,
to contemplate, to love.

2. Open yourself to plentiful space to respond
to the question through creative and spiritual practices
such as free writing, singing, haiku, movement,
painting or whatever calls to your being. (This opening
may be, in and of itself, a form of question.)

3. Share what you discover on the "Stretch" 100
Questions blog where you will find both my 100 Questions
list as well as my 10 questions a week.

Paul Riceour, French Philosopher,  reminds us of the importance of this process
when he said, "This brief period when we appear in the world is the time in
which all meaningful questions arise." Now you have the tools to cradle your
questions with love.

Love to love the questions. Love to live your life with passion.

Julie Jordan Scott is a Writer, Speaker, Success Coach, Actor,
Workshop Facilitator and Mother Extraordinaire who created
the DreamActivation program to ignite your dreams.
Fre.e. audio coaching - immediate download: