Dear Publishers,

publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.  Please do not
make changes without permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Frugal & Fun Country Decorating
By Monica Resinger
http://homemakersjournal.com

Country decorating can be fun, creative and frugal because the items that
work in country decor are either handmade like quilts, rugs, wood items, and
folk
art, or natural items like dried flowers, branches and flowers.  Many of
these type of items you can make or find at little or no cost.

Quilts, for example, can be handmade by you with fabric scraps or worn out
clothing.  If you don't know how to make quilts, you could check out a book
from
the library and learn how.  You may even be able to find one at a yard sale
or thrift store, if you're lucky.  If you can't find or make quilts, check
thrift stores for beautiful crocheted afghans; I have seen many and these would
be
equally as beautiful in your country decor.  Just be sure to find colors that
match your scheme.  You can drape quilts or afghans over your sofa, or hang
on a quilt rack.  I have even seen them hung on a wall, like art.

Throw rugs are a wonderful way to vary your decor.  If you want a change,
just switch rugs or add one in a new area.  Rugs can be braided or crocheted
with
scraps of worn out clothing or fabric.  If you don't know either method,
there are books out on the subject and you could also do a search on the
Internet
for instructions.  I have found many throw rugs at thrift stores and yard
sales.  Whenever the price is right and I like the look of a rug, I'll buy it
so I
can make a fresh look when needed.

Wood items are abundant at thrift stores and are very reasonable.  There is a
huge variety too; I have seen wood fish, shelves, mini rocking chairs,
coasters, placques, bowls, boxes, figurines, letter holders, spice racks,
planters
and a lot more.  Sometimes I'll find a scratched wood item that I like and I'll
still buy it because I'll take it home & fix it up with paint.  These can be
decoratively painted, or just touched up.  You can also learn how to make your
own wood items by taking a class or studying a book.

Usually folk art is very simple, so it is possible to make your own!  Look
around at other folk art to get ideas for your own original design, then go to
the craft store & get artist paper (like 140 lb. watercolor paper), lightly
sketch your design, then paint.  If you really believe that you aren't able to
do
this, then again, check thrift stores!  I see charming prints and original
art for very reasonable prices.  Another inexpensive option would be to frame
calendar pages.  Look for pretty frames at the Dollar Store.

The nice thing about natural items is that they are free.  Hopefully you have
your own yard where you can gather pine cones, branches, flowers, and leaves.
 If not, maybe you have a relative or neighbor that will let you takes some
naturals from their yard.  Branches and fresh flowers can be placed in pretty
vases (check thrift stores!) or canning jars, pine cones look beautiful in big
wooden bowls, as do leaves.  The possiblilities are endless; just use your
imagination for containers and combinations.

You don't need a lot of money to create a charming home!  Have some fun and
start hunting for or creating the things that would make your home special.

For more fun & frugal tips check out The Homemaker's Journal Frugal e-book
package that includes 7 e-books that are all packed full of money saving tips,
hints and tricks: 1- The Big E-book of Frugal Tips, 2-  Fantastic Frugal
Grocery Tips, 3- Homemade Household Cleaners, 4- Journal Jar (Wonderful
Homemade
Gift Idea), 5- Frugal Creative Christmas Ideas!, 6- Turn your Recyclables Into
Crafts! and 7- The Leftover Recipe E-Book. Click here for details:
http://homemakersjournal.com/ebooklets.htm
Get Monica's FREE weekly e-zine for homemakers!  To subscribe, just send a
blank e-mail to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  where the articles was posted.

of the Authors Copyright.
Yahoo! Groups Links