publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.  Please do not
make changes without permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Meal Planning Help; Meal 2
By Monica Resinger

One meal planning challenge for me has been to `lighten up' for my family's
and my health. My husband and I were both raised on `meat and potatoes' so it
has been a difficult change. But we are making gradual progress.

One way to lighten up is by substituting ground turkey for ground beef. To
us, this is a huge taste difference and hard to get used to when we're used to
the ground beef flavor. However, I have found recipes made especially for
ground turkey and they are much better. The `Turkey Medallions With Orange
Sauce' recipe you'll find below is one such recipe. It is delicious and is
almost a complete meal by itself with the meat and vegetables.

But to round the meal out and make it more filling, serve it with `Hawaiian
Bread' (recipe below) or thickly sliced French bread from the local bakery that
has been warmed in the oven. If you are trying to lighten up, go easy on the
butter (if any at all).

The Meal:

~ Turkey Medallions with Orange Teriyaki Sauce
~ Your choice of bread

Turkey Medallions with Orange Teriyaki Sauce

2 Tsp olive oil
1/2 of a small onion -- minced
1 celery stalk -- minced
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Lb lean ground turkey
2 Tsp prepared Horseradish
chopped parsley
6 small carrots cut in 1-inch pieces
1/4 Lb Pea Pods
1/3 C Orange Juice
1 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
1 Tsp Flour
Parsley Sprigs For Garnish

1. In 1 quart saucepan over medium high heat, in olive oil, cook celery,
onion, salt & ground ginger till tender.

2. In medium bowl, mix ground turkey, vegetable mixture, horseradish & 1 tbsp
chopped parsley till blended. Shape mixture into 8, 3-inch round medallions.

3. In 12" skillet over medium high heat, in 1 tbsp hot olive oil, cook
medallions till golden brown on both sides & turkey loses pink color, about 10
minutes. Arrange on platter, keep warm.

4. Meanwhile, in 3-quart saucepan over high heat in 1" boiling water heat
carrots to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover & simmer 5 minutes or till
tender-crisp. Stir in pea pods & cook, covered, 2 minutes. Drain. Arrange
with turkey on platter. In a cup mix orange juice, teriyaki sauce, flour, 1
tbsp chopped parsley & 1/3 cup water till smooth; stir into skillet over high
heat to boiling stirring to loosen bits. Boil 1 minute. Pour over medallions.

Hawaiian Bread for the bread machine

This is for a 1 1/2 lb loaf

Mash 1 overripe banana in a 1 cup measuring cup. Finish filling with crushed
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup potato flakes
3 cups bread flour
4 Tbsp margarine
1 1/2 tsp quick yeast

Add ingredients according to your machine's instructions. Bake in bread
machine on light.

Hope you enjoy this meal. In the meantime, keep your eyes open for Meal 3.

Check out The Homemaker's Journal Recipe E-book Collection! It includes 2
Slowcooker Recipe E-books, The Leftover Recipe E-book, Breads Muffins and More
Recipe E-book, Down Home Chicken Recipes, Beef Recipe E-book, Cakes and
Frostings E-book, Candy Recipe E-book and many more. Click here: Get Monica's FREE weekly e-zine for
homemakers! To
subscribe, just send a blank e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]