publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and links
are made active if possible.  Please do not make changes without permission.
A courtesy copy of the publication this article is included in would be
appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Save Money and Make an Easy Salad Bar at Home
By Monica Resinger
http://homemakersjournal.com

One thing I like to do for dinner, that my family loves, is make a salad bar.
 It's easy, inexpensive, fun, healthy and is always different; a plus in my
book!

The only work involved is making the salad ingredients salad-friendly
(cutting them to bite size) and if you want meat and aren't using leftovers,
you'll
need to cook the meat.  Thinly slice or chunk up meats, shred cheeses and
carrots, thinly slice or chunk up vegetables... the main thing is to get them
bite
sized and how you like them.  A lot of items are already prepared such as
nuts, thawed peas, shredded cheeses, croutons (unless you make your own!), and
dried fruits.

You can use whatever you have on hand that sounds good to go in a salad,
including leftovers (great way to save money). Almost anything goes for salads
nowadays, so be creative.  After making the ingredients bite-sized, simply put
them in lined-up dishes across your countertop or tabletop and include bottles
of salad dressing, homemade dressing and/or oil and vinegar at the end.

Here are some of the ingredients you could use in a salad bar:

NUTS:  Think of all the different nuts there are and how they would make each
salad unique... honey roasted peanuts, plain roasted peanuts, sunflower
seeds, smoked almonds and candied walnuts are some of my favorites.

GREENS:  Greens and lettuces also have many varieties... Romaine, Iceberg,
spinach and cabbage come to mind. Each one would add a different twist to your
salad bar.  You could even have a selection of greens, although I usually only
use one type per bar because I want to keep it simple and inexpensive. I like
to get the already-cut salads and mixes when they are on sale.

CHEESES:  Cheese is a great ingredient for the salad bar.  There's Parmesan,
Cheddar, Mozzarella, Feta, Blue and many others.

VEGETABLES:  There are so many different vegetables and you can even prepare
them in different ways for your salad bar, like grill or roast them first or
marinate them.  Of course the simplest way is to just cut them up fresh!  Use
your favorites or ones you've never tried on a salad, like asparagus,
cauliflower or broccoli.

FRUITS:  I love fruit on salads, especially paired with a meat.  Bacon and
mandarin oranges for example, is one of my favorites.  Let's see... ham and
pineapple and pork and apple are a couple that come to mind.  Don't forget
dried
fruits.  Dried cranberries, pineapple, raisins and many others make great
additions to the salad.

DRESSINGS:  I usually have a variety of bottled dressings (that I purchase on
sale) on hand and occasionally make my own.  To cut the calories of the
high-calorie creamy dressings, I add vinegar and/or milk to them and to me,
they
actually taste better thinned out.  It also gets on more of your salad being
thinner.

SALAD TOPPERS:  Even though I could save money and make my own croutons, I
like to buy them already-made to save time.  I have recently seen other
crouton-like items, like flavored tortilla strips made just for salads, but you
could
always use broken tortilla chips to save money.

I hope this inspires you to try making homemade salad bars!

Monica is the founder Homemaker's Journal E-publications, the growing home of
many fun and informative home, garden and recipe e-books, tip sheets,
articles and more!  http://homemakersjournal.com/
Get a FREE Slowcooker Recipe E-book when you subscribe to Monica's FREE
e-zine for homemakers!  To subscribe and receive instructions for picking up
your
FREE e-book, just send a blank e-mail to:  HomemakersJournal