publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.  Please do
not make changes without permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication  this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

Foam Stamped Light Switch and Outlet Plate Covers
by Monica  Resinger
_http://homemakersjournal.com_ (http://homemakersjournal.com)

We remodeled our bathroom a couple years ago and when it was time to choose
our switch plate covers, we were overwhelmed with the variety and prices of
them. We wanted out-of-the-ordinary light switch covers but didn't want to pay
the price -- and besides, we couldn't find any that matched our decor out of
all  that variety!

So what we did was purchase plain, unfinished wood, switch and outlet  covers
and I painted them to match our decor. We did our bathroom decor in jewel
tone colors with brass accents so I decided to paint the light switch covers in

dark blue with gold stars. We love the `custom homemade' look of the covers
and  it was very easy to accomplish. Below you'll find step-by-step
instructions for  how to do this.

Before beginning this project, decide on the color and design of your
covers. Try to include colors and design elements that are already in the room
then
go purchase your materials.

Materials:
unfinished wood light switch and outlet plate covers
acrylic paint in your choice of colors
small foam stamps of your choice
spray clear acrylic (optional)

The covers can be found in do-it-yourself stores, while the remainder of
items can be found in craft stores or craft sections in retail stores.

Instructions:
Prepare a work surface by laying newspaper down on a large  area then...

1. Base coat the cover with the color of your choice. You will probably  need
at least a second coat, maybe a third. Let each coat dry before applying  the
next.

2. Stamp on your design. First, plan your design, then practice stamping.  To
do this, using a small paintbrush, paint the acrylic paint onto the stamp
then press onto paper firmly but being careful not to turn it to get a smudge.
Once you are comfortable with the feel of it, then go ahead and stamp your
design onto the base-painted switch cover.

3. If desired spray with clear acrylic for protection and easy cleaning.
This is best done outside on a piece of cardboard or newspaper. Let dry then
put
the covers on as usual (a good job for hubby).

There are many other ways you can decorate these; sponge paint them, paint
on free-hand designs, decoupage or whatever else may inspire you. This is just
one idea to get your imagination going. Have fun with it.

Monica is the founder Homemaker's Journal E-publications, the growing home
of many fun and informative home and garden e-books, tip sheets, articles and
more!  _http://homemakersjournal.com/_ (http://homemakersjournal.com/)
Get a  FREE Slowcooker Recipe E-book when you subscribe to Monica's FREE
e-zine for  homemakers!  To subscribe and receive instructions for picking up
your
FREE  e-book, just send a blank e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Feel  free to publish this article as long as the above bylines & this note
are  included; notification at [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 would be  appreciated.