publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.  Please do
not make changes without permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication  this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is
How to Grow Christmas and Thanksgiving Cactuses
by Monica Resinger
_http://homemakersjournal.com_ (
I love Christmas and Thanksgiving cactuses. These plants are so easy to  take
care of. The flowers are gorgeous, come in an array of colors and come  right
when we need them -- usually when it's cold and flowerless outdoors. A
houseplant that flowers and doesn't take much to take care of it is a big plus
my book! They can be grown in hanging baskets or regular pots.
My Christmas and Thanksgiving cactus bloom every year now. They  didn't
always before. The main difference has been that my plants have become
The other difference is temperature -- they like it cool so I moved  mine to
a cooler area of the house. If they get too warm, the buds will fall  off. I'd
say 68* or under is what they prefer. A south-facing window with  filtered
light also helps and only an occasional feeding when they are actively
I think where people go wrong with these is in giving them too much
attention. Too much water will cause them to die. Let the plant dry between
to the point where the leaves start to shrivel. This is all I do to my
cactuses and they bloom reliably every year. Sometimes they even give me a
These plants can last you a lifetime! My grandma has a plant that has been
in the family for over 60 years! Two of my three plants are plants made from
taking cuttings from hers. Let me tell you how to do that.
It's very easy to propagate Christmas and Thanksgiving  Cactuses. All you
need is a small pot of moist potting soil, a Christmas or  Thanksgiving cactus
take a cutting from and rooting hormone is helpful but  not necessary. Simply
clip off a four-segment piece; dip the cut end into  rooting hormone if
desired, then push the cut end into the soil about an inch or  so. From there,
only thing you have to do is be sure the soil stays moist.  It will stay moist
longer if you prop a see through plastic bag over it. To do  this you can
insert a popsicle stick into the soil, then drape the plastic over  that.
and growing cuttings of these make wonderful gifts to friends and  family. Put
them in a pretty pot and attach a bow and card then they're ready to  give!
There's a difference between Thanksgiving Cactus and  Christmas Cactus.
Christmas cactus segments are scalloped and Thanksgiving  cactus segments are
Well, that is what I know about growing Thanksgiving and Christmas cactus.  I
hope it will help you in growing yours!
Monica is the founder Homemaker's Journal E-publications, the growing home
of many fun and informative home and garden e-books, tip sheets, articles and
more!  _ (
Get a  FREE Slowcooker Recipe E-book when you subscribe to Monica's FREE
e-zine for  homemakers!  To subscribe and receive instructions for picking up
FREE  e-book, just send a blank e-mail to:
Feel  free to publish this article as long as the above bylines & this note
are  included; notification at [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 would be  appreciated.