publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and
links are made active if possible.  Please do not make changes without
permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication this article is included in
would be
appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

Make a Budget to Help Your Dreams Come True!
By Monica  Resinger
_http://homemakersjournal.com_ (
A budget helps you to see where your money is going and helps you determine
where you can cut back. It is also an important guide for what to do with your
 money when you get paid. If you are serious about your financial goals, a
budget  is an absolute necessity.
When my husband and I got married over 18 years ago, we had no idea of how
to manage our money. Even though we both worked, we always had a hard time
paying our bills and had nothing to show for our money. Then my son came along
and changed all of that; I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom.
We also wanted to travel, save for retirement and college funds, and  purc
hase our own home. We knew we had to start managing our money better to be
to do these things and the first step in doing that was to prepare a  budget.
When you think of your financial goals, write them down at the top of a
piece of paper. This will help you stay on track and give you motivation to
to your budget.
The first step in making our budget was to list out the necessities… rent,
utilities, phone, vehicle expense and food and the amounts we paid on them per
month.  Then we listed our credit card bills with minimum monthly payments
and ‘miscellaneous’ for items like clothing or birthdays.   We listed  these
on the paper that listed our financial goals.
When listing your budget amounts, be sure to be accurate and honest about
how much you spend on them. Look back into your checkbook and add it all up. If
you write down less than what you actually spend, how can you possibly cut
Once we made our list, we looked at it to see if there was anywhere we  could
cut back. We saw that we could probably cut back the amount we spent on  food
by using coupons and shopping sales and discount stores, so we lowered the
amount we originally budgeted. We saw that we could probably cut back the
amount  we spent on gasoline by making fewer trips to the store, only driving
absolutely necessary, etc. So we lowered that amount also. We vowed to cut
back  on our power usage -- turn off lights when leaving a room, dry clothes on
the  line, wear sweaters so we can set the thermostat lower, etc. We stuck to
these  amounts and made it, and I was able to quit my job to be a stay-at-home
At first we didn't have any money left after paying our necessities but  that
was okay because we had a roof over our head and I was able to stay home  and
raise our son. As my husband got raises then eventually started his own
business, we began to have a little extra money left after our budget was paid.
This enabled us to go out once in a while and add a new category onto our
budget  called ‘savings’ where we strive to save for vacations, home
retirement funds, etc.
Within a few years, we were able to purchase our own house, remodel it a
little at a time, make our credit card bills smaller, buy a nice car and take a
couple nice vacations.
So please Make a Budget and Help your Dreams Come True!
Monica is the founder Homemaker's Journal E-publications, the growing home
of many fun and informative home and garden e-books, tip sheets, articles and
more!  _ (
Get a  FREE Slowcooker Recipe E-book when you subscribe to Monica's FREE
e-zine for  homemakers!  To subscribe and receive instructions for picking up
FREE  e-book, just send a blank e-mail to:
Feel  free to publish this article as long as the above bylines & this note
are  included; notification at [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 would be  appreciated.