publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and
links are made active if possible.  Please do not make changes without
permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication this article is included in
would be
appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Create your Own Computer Cookbook
By Monica Resinger
_http://homemakersjournal.com_ (
I’ve always loved saving and trying new recipes from magazines and  books.
When we got Internet services, a whole new recipe world opened  up!  I found
e-mail lists where people share recipes, ezines that have  recipes published
I do searches on the Internet for specific recipes when I  need them.
Obviously, I needed a way to save these recipes.
I found a quick, organized and easy solution, and you don’t need a recipe
program to do it.  I have found it time consuming to save recipes from the
Internet into recipe programs because they require you to type in each separate
ingredient into the program’s recipe format.  This is too time-consuming
especially when you’re scanning lots of recipes.
What you need to save recipes my way is a word processing program such as  ‘
Wordpad’, ‘Notepad’ or ‘Microsoft Works’.  Most new computers come with a
word processing program already installed on it, so if you have a fairly new
computer, you probably have a word processing program too.  I’m using  Windows
operating system.  Here’s a step-by-step process of making your own  computer
1.  The first thing you will want to do is make a new folder somewhere  in
your computer such as in ‘My Documents’ called ‘Recipes’, or whatever you
want to name your cookbook.  You can create a new folder by selecting ‘New’
under ‘File’, then select ‘Folder‘.  A new folder will show up and the
computer will prompt you to name it.
2.   Open a new document in the word processing program.
3.   Highlight the recipe you want to save by left clicking your  mouse,
holding it down and dragging the cursor over the entire recipe you want  to
This should show black highlight over white text when you’re  finished.
4.  Right click any part of the text you highlighted.  An options  box should
pop up and you need to select ‘copy‘ from it.  Now you have  copied the text
onto the clipboard of your computer.
in it.  From the options box, select ‘paste’.  This will paste  your recipe
into the document.
5.  Save your recipe by clicking ‘save’ in the word processing  document.
Double click the ‘Recipe’ folder you created in step 1 to go  into this
folder.  Now you will want to make a new folder for this type of  recipe.
Click the
‘New Folder’ icon at the top of the ‘save‘ box. The new  folder will pop up
in the save box where you can give it a name.  If your  recipe is a spaghetti
recipe for example, you can make the new folder a ‘ground  beef’, ’Italian’
or ‘main dish’ folder.  After you have named the new  folder, double click
it so you will be saving the new recipe inside of it.   Now name the recipe
accordingly and click ‘save‘.
Follow this simple procedure for all your Internet recipes and soon you  will
have your very own organized computer cookbook.  You can take this a  step
further and type in your recipes to try or favorite recipes from cookbooks  or
magazines; this will save space and money by eliminating the need for
cookbooks or recipe storage systems.
I find it very handy and I can find recipes easily.  When I want to  try one,
I print it out.  Since it is in a word processing program, you can  change
the font or the colors to jazz it up.
Monica is the founder Homemaker's Journal E-publications, the growing home
of many fun and informative home and garden e-books, tip sheets, articles and
more!  _ (
Get a  FREE Slowcooker Recipe E-book when you subscribe to Monica's FREE
e-zine for  homemakers!  To subscribe and receive instructions for picking up
FREE  e-book, just send a blank e-mail to:
Feel  free to publish this article as long as the above bylines & this note
are  included; notification at [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 would be  appreciated.