publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.  Please do
not make changes without permission.  A courtesy copy of the publication  this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

Delicious Ways to Cut Calories
By Monica Resinger
_http://homemakersjournal.com_ (http://homemakersjournal.com)

I recently joined Weight Watchers and their plan has made me see where I  was
going wrong in my diet.  Each day I learn new ways of cooking and  eating
that trim calories from the foods that I eat so that they will fit into  the
plan.  I'm one who loves all the fattening foods and a lot of the  non-fat
things
don't work for me... like non-fat sour cream, non-fat cheese,  non-fat
mayonnaise or non-fat salad dressing... yuck!  I have found a lot  of things
that
work though, so there's hope!  Here's some tips I've learned  along the way:

1. Trim some calories from fried chicken by taking the skin off  first.  Yes,
it's still fried chicken, but at least you've taken off some  calories.  Also
be sure to drain the chicken well on a paper towel when  finished frying;
this will also help with the calories.  Lastly, eat just  one piece.  Portion
control can be a powerful way to control how much you  eat, resulting in
calorie
reduction.  If you eat it slowly and savor it, it  will be a much more
satisfying and enjoyable experience than gulping down  multiple pieces.  This
applies
to any food.

2. If you're an ice cream junky like me, you can still have it!  Just  buy
ice cream bars instead of ice cream that you can dish up yourself.   This way
you limit how much you have.  For me, it's impossible to dish up  only a little
ice cream, but an ice cream bar treat is great and I know it's  only 1
serving.  A word of warning:  be sure to look at the calories  of the bars
before
buying... some premium bars have more calories than your big  dish of ice
cream.

3. Another tip for ice cream junkies is to switch to popsicles, juice bars,
sherbet or Italian ice.  These all have a lot less calories than ice cream
but are delicious alternatives.

4. One last tip for ice cream junkies.  A delicious treat that is very
similar to an ice cream sandwich, but has VERY LITTLE calories:  Take 2
chocolate
graham crackers and sandwich 2-3 Tbsp. fat-free whipped topping  between
them... these are so good, you won't believe there's hardly any  calories!  By
the
way, I mentioned earlier that a lof of the fat-free stuff  I don't like...
well, fat-free whipped topping is one that I do like.

Can you tell my biggest downfall was ice cream?  LOL

5. Here's a recipe for a delicious salad dressing that's almost  fat-free:

Chinese Salad Dressing

1/4 cup lemon juice, canned or bottled
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp  sugar
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/2  tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients together unitl sugar dissolves.  Delicious!

6.  Think of all the healthy things you like and play up on  them.  For me, I
love Sushi, Shrimp, Stir-Fries, Salsas, Fruit, Soups,  Roasted Vegetables,
Salads and Smoothies.  You can also get your family  members' opinions on the
healthy foods they like so there's more options.   I made a list of these items
to keep my memory fresh, and when I make meals, I  try to focus on these types
of meals.

7.  If you like French Fries, I have found a delicious  alternative!  Simply
slice potatoes, put them on a baking sheet sprayed  with non-stick cooking
spray, spray the potatoes with the spray, season and cook  at 400F for 40-60
minutes, until lightly browned & crisp.  These are  better than the ones
drenched
in oil... honestly!  I tried this same method  with sweet potatoes and they
are even better, in my opinion; my family prefers  the regular potatoes.

8.  If you like chips, switch to pretzels.  To me, pretzels are  just okay,
but when I dip them in mustard or salsa, they are much better!

9.  Of course there are times when we want to splurge and have an  indulgent
meal or treat.  A great way to do this is to cut back, exercise  and eat well
for a week or so, then have your indulgence, but still try not to  go way
overboard.  Eat slowly and savor it, this way you will know when you  are
satisfied, rather than eating through it.

A huge factor in eating well and losing weight is planning, regardless of
what plan you are on.  If you take time each day to plan out a strategy to
keep
your eating within limits and create more activity in your life, you will  be
much more successful than if you don't take time to think about it.  If  you
don't plan, it is too easy to fall into the 'I'll-Start-Tommorrow' trap and
eat too much.

Monica is the founder Homemaker's Journal E-publications, the growing home
of many fun and informative home and garden e-books, tip sheets, articles and
more!  _http://homemakersjournal.com/_ (http://homemakersjournal.com/)
Get a  FREE Slowcooker Recipe E-book when you subscribe to Monica's FREE
e-zine for  homemakers!  To subscribe and receive instructions for picking up
your
FREE  e-book, just send a blank e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Feel  free to publish this article as long as the above bylines & this note
are  included; notification at [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
 would be  appreciated.