Dear Publishers,

publications as long as the bio at the end of the article is included and the
link is made active at websites and if possible, in newsletters.? Please do not
make changes without permission.? A courtesy copy of the publication this
article is included in would be appreciated; my e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Slow-Cook Once for Multiple Healthy Meals
By Monica Resinger
http://homemakersjournal.com

I have found a wonderful way to save even more time with the slowcooker and
that is to cook a few days worth of meat at once, then use the cooked meat for
a few nights worth of upcoming meals.? You will need a large slowcooker for
this; if you don't have a large slowcooker, don't go out and buy one brand new
since they are abundant at thrift stores.

Because I am working at healthier meals for my family, this article will be
referring to boneless skinless chicken breast, but the idea can be applied with
any meat.?

The first day, after spraying the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
(great tip for easy clean-up), I added a few cut-up carrots to the bottom of
the crock and seasoned them with seasoning salt.? You could add any vegetables
of your choice that would go with any of your upcoming meals.? Then I added
layers of boneless skinless chicken breast to the top (probably around 3-4 lbs.
worth), seasoning each layer with fresh chopped garlic and seasoning salt (an
added benefit... your house will smell SO good all day long).? Be sure to trim
any fat off the breast before adding to the pot.? I added about 1/2 cup of
water, placed the lid on top & turned the slow cooker on to low & cooked about
8 hours.? Very easy work for enough succulent cooked meat for at least 3 days'
meals!

MEAL #1:? The first night we had chicken sandwiches.? After spraying a pan with
non-stick cooking spray, I toasted onion buns over medium heat, then let the
family add their own condiments like sliced tomato and onion, lettuce,
mayonnaise, mustard, etc., and a piece of the cooked chicken. They were
delicious!? I served oven fries with the sandwiches... simply slice potatoes,
put them on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, spray the
potatoes with the spray, season and cook at 400F for 40-60 minutes.? These are
better than the ones drenched in oil... honestly, and I am one that loves
deef-fried french fries and all the fattening foods!

MEAL #2:? Since I have some more onion buns from meal #1, I will make a
delicious barbecue sauce (you can use bottled if you prefer), then add chunked
up chicken to the sauce and serve that over the toasted onion buns.? We'll have
the carrots that were cooked with the chicken and baked potatoes on the side.?

MEAL #3:? I'll make a delicious marinara sauce, then add cut-up cooked chicken
to it & serve over spaghetti with garlic bread on the side.? A great way to add
flavor and nutrients to spaghetti or marinara sauce is to add finely minced
carrots, celery or other vegetables to the sauce.? You can saute them along
with the onions, or add them straight to the sauce.?

These are just a few ideas.? Chicken is so versatile that there are endless
ideas for using the cooked meat in meals.? You could do salads, soups,
casseroles and more.? If you are making a soup, be sure to use the delicious
broth that this creates!

I hope this gives you inspiration for dusting off your slow cooker and putting
it to use... they are such a great way to save time, even if you use them for
one nights' meal.?

If you are interested in slow cooker recipes, check out The Slowcooker
E-Cookbook here:? http://homemakersjournal.com/slowcooker.htm
If you are interested in chicken recipes, check out the Down Home Chicken
Recipe E-book here:? http://homemakersjournal.com/chickenrecipes.htm
Get Monica's FREE weekly e-zine for homemakers! To subscribe, just send a blank
e-mail to:? [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  where the articles was posted.

of the Authors Copyright.
Yahoo! Groups Links