Brian Cameron wrote:

> Ghee:
>
>> Where is the communication channel? I would like to submit project and
>> also consolidate project ideas from the Desktop side.
>
> I know the GNOME community is going to do GSOC this year, so if there
> are desktop related projects, it might make more sense to submit them
> via the GNOME community rather than Sun, unless you are planning to
> submit a Sun-specific desktop project.
  I would not call it Sun-specific desktop project. There should be
*not* Sun  specific project. There should be only OpenSolaris specific
projects here. I am talking about GSOC for OpenSolaris.

Yes, GNOME is the right place for the desktop projects, there were over
200 submissions last year in GNOME and Google has given GNOME funding
for 40 projects. However, there are technologies which are very much
OpenSolaris specific (though not exclusively) such as DTrace/ZFS/SMF
probably harder to get patches upstream in GNOME. Though it is not
impossible.

I believe the OpenSolaris community can contribute to the greater values
for FOSS by developing the OpenSolaris technologies even on the desktop
and in time to come may even give back to GNOME (dreaming of the day
when DTrace/ZFS is part of the Linux offering).

I like to see some native/orignal development in OpenSolaris, GSOC can
be a excellent source to stimulate that development.

-Ghee